Ladies & Gentlemen,

I have been tasked by the IAFF Local 25 President Jim Gibaud to research the "Workgroup" schedule. I have gotten some information on it and slightly remember how it worked from some of the guys at NWSY in Yorktown that I have known for years. I am just looking for any input anyone can give, opinions from experiance and if anyone has a copy of that type of schedule that would be great. The two schedules that will be in the running along side of the work group schedule are the 24 on 24 off with a 3 day every two weeks and a 5 day every quarter, and the 48 on 72 off for 3 cycles 48 on 48 off for 1 cycle. Again any opinions or experiance will be greatly appreciated. If you can and feel comfortable please include your name, rank, and email address in the reply.

John E. Musey IV FFEMT
Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Fire & Emergency Services
District 3 Virgina Beach
Station 8 Dam Neck Annex A-Shift
john.e.musey@navy.mil

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey i see that you have so called made up some powerpoints...Why dont you post them on our union web site and let us guys in navy regional see what you have (Local-25 tidewater federal firefighters)
48 hour shifts are insane, if you have a busy house you run the major risk of over fatigue, exertion, and will only get your firefighter hurt or killed.
Let me first say that 48 hours straight as a routine schedule is insane. Talk about divorce rate going up. I currently work the traditional 24 on 48 off. But there are other models I have seen. Refer to the following list

24 on 48 off
24 on 72 off

This one seems complicated but utilizing 3 shifts the bi-weekly hours are the same.
24 on
24 off
24 on
24off
24 on
96 hours (4days) off

as well there are 10 hour days and 14 hour nights good for those that go to school full time

Also 12 hour shifts 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on 3 days off. You have to work every other weekend with this one.

I hope this helps.

Donnie Bathje
Former Navy Corpsman
Norfolk Naval Shipyard 89-91
Copied from above, this is what my department uses. The three work days with days in-between work well for us. The only problem is if that first day was tough, the other two might seem to never end, just because you are a little tired. It really depends on if those days off are used wisely. As for the 4 days off, it just ROCKS. So for us, three days are worth the effort to get the 4 off in a row.
24 on
24 off
24 on
24off
24 on
96 hours (4days) off

Jeff Betz Lieutentant
City of Adrian (Michigan) FD
The only other downfall to that schedule is you really need to live fairly close or it seems you are driving or working. I used to drive 60-70 miles with that schedule and it sucked. But if you live 20 minutes away it is great easy to take mini-vacations without burning alot of time.......
Well I have just gotten word that the power point that I had entended to write comparing the group 48-72 and rotating kelly daey schedules is not going to be allowed to be viewed and utilized as a decision making tool. As for the 48 regular shifts, the time off is much more valuable and there is more time with your family than the traditional 24 on 24 off. Unfortunatly I do not ever see DOD Fire going to the "standard" municipality schedules. This would require 3 shifts and that has been out of the question in the past when ever it was brought up. One major issue with that is that the Firefighters would loose money and Mgmt would be paying out more money.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service