Well, since all the other newbies and probies posted something, I guess, so should I.
I am a late vocation to the Fire field. I recently tried out for a dept. and had NO CLUE what was expected and ended up failing the dummy drag. Never felt like a loser before until that moment.
Well, I descided to go back to school and get a Fire Fighter Tech. degree and I have never been this excited about school in my life. Finishing up the first semester.
I actually wanted to become a priest, but now I am thinking its gonna be something in the fire field.
Thats my story, anything more, just hit me up and ask.

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the site. Good luck in school.
First of all I have to thank everyone for the kind words I have gotten from everyone. Please be assured of my prayers and best wishes for everyone and to your families.
Yes, I thought I wanted to become a priest. But my boss became a police chaplain, and when asked if I would become an aux. police officer, I told everyone flat out "no", but I would consider fire.
Well it was at that moment the wheels started turning. So I callled the local Fire Chief and asked about a reserve program, he told me that there wasn't any around the Detroit area and that "paid on calls" you mainly have to live in that jurisdiction.
Well, I found out that the Township I live in back in Ann Arbor area had a paid on call so I applied.
I had no clue as to what would be expected when and if I got called in. And with the way the job market is, I was told no one is leaving police or fire jobs. After seven months I got a letter about the CPAT testing and the description of each test, and only 2 weeks to train. And believe me there is no physical work in working at a parish.
But I went in to this CPAT test believeing I could make it, well..........I failed and spent the rest of that Saturday crying like a baby. Worst day in my life.
But I was more motivated than ever and descided to go back to school and finally get my degree. So I guess God in his weird sense of humor was pushing me to go back to school.
All I can is I am enjoying school like I never had before in my life. If you would have asked me a few years ago that I would be going back to school and getting a degree in Fire Fighter Technology I would have laughed in your face.
For Fall, I took Intro to Fire and Fire Administration; and in the Winter I am taking Aircraft FF and Rescue, Fundamentals of Fire, Building Construction for the Fire Service and Arson Investigation. We'll see how all this goes and in the Fall of 08 I will look into the part time academy and for classes I will take Basic EMS I.
Well thats the boring and dull story about me and my late vocation to the Fire field. I am sure Lifetime would have made it sound more exciting though.
Cameron,Welcome to Firefighter Nation.Stay Safe and Becarefull.Hughie the 57 House
Welcome to the fire service and to the Nation good luck to you
Good luck with school. Look into being a Chaplin for the fire dept.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service