You all know that this job has its way of humbling you. When you think everything is going great, then BAM! Something happens. Or when you think you've seen everything there is to see, you see something else. Or just when you think you know what you're doing, you're faced with a different scenario that you don't know how to handle. Do you live for those moments or do you absolutely dispise them?

I live for those moments, although not at the time, because doing something wrong or calling for help can be embarrassing at first, and you feel like you're about two inches tall. But those are experiences to take in, learn from, and to put into your knowledge bank to use in the future. In a way, firefighting is like a roller coaster. You have your ups, your downs, your steep drops, and your sharp inclines. It's really very awesome!

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is never a time when you are done learning...sometimes I don't like the lesson, but in the end the results are better. Everytime, we have a humbling experience we grow so much stronger, and it keeps our egos in check. It's good to remember that we are human especially in a world where so many people look up to us. It's nice to remember that is is OK for us to make mistakes as well and to ask for help. Remember, that when you stumble, there is usually someone else that has a chance to shine. :-)
I generally despise these moments... I assume you mean times like:

getting to the scene in the pumper and discovering you left your helmet at the firehouse?

discovering you lost your helmet somewhere in the structure while doing a search?

not being able to get water flowing because you didn't put the pump in gear?

dislocating your shoulder trying to move a motorcycle so that we could place the apparatus?

Yeah I don't look forward to these "special moments".

I love former Boston FD "Commish" Leo Stapleton's line which pretty much says it all:

"Sometimes you'll make parking lots and there's nothing you can do about it."
I'd have to agree with Mr. Stapleton's comment. We at the rual company I run with use it a little differently. Instead, we say "sometimes the only thing you can save is the foundation, and there's nothing you can do about it"
Just in case you're wondering, I never left a helmet in the station......But did have to walk back to the truck 2 blocks away for it once!
I agree with Kindall.We ALL strugle with things once in awhile.and ask for help.No Matter How Long Anyone's Been In.
By gollie, I think this new guy is onto something here! Welcome to the Brotherhood!
This group is all right on target. One little pat on the back to you all is this: you are capable of first recognizing you are a human that sometimes makes mistakes, AND you learn from them. Think of how many people you know who don't have the same capacity for doing this. I have been around a long time in this job, and I am very comfortable telling you that I still learn cool stuff quite often, and not so cool lessons when I goof up. The trick? Try to make the goof-ups little ones.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service