If you haven't figured out the obvious yet, it might save your life.

Seat belts save lives. I have a wife and three kids to go home to and every time I see where one of my brothers takes a dump in a rig and can't go home, it makes my heart hurt. If you can't do it for yourself, think of your family.

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, let people read this, and roll their eyes, and call us safety Nazis. Let them get good and sick and tired of reading the same comments and the same posts about the same topic.

Maybe - just maybe - the message will get through to a few as-yet unenlightened persons out there, and next time they will "click it". We will never really know if someone's life gets saved through discussion threads like this.

But, until we get to ZERO deaths responding, and 100% seat belt use everywhere, we should be relentless in passing the message along any and every way we can, every time.

Thanks Spanner for getting this subject up and running again!
Mick,

As we say in the Army, "Hooah!"

I couldn't agree more.

1*
Our department is so serious about it that even the most junior yellow bonnets can get after an officer who doesnt have his belt on. The engineer does a check over the headsets and he wont move until everyone is locked down. I just saw a video yesterday of Billy Goldfedder and in his usual blunt and candid way of explaining things he said that it is the most simple and yet one of the most effective safety measures we can take. When you figure that most LODD deaths are due to 1. Cardiac arrest on scene and 2. Accidents responding and returning. I saw some pretty nasty videos yesterday of really bad things happening on fire grounds and when it is so simple to buckle up, there are only excuses and not reasons.

Everybody Goes Home.
Signed in. Gotta put your money where your mouth is.
This isn't necessarily cardiac arrest on scene. This is cardiac arrest at a call, responding, returning from a call, or a cardiac arrest of a paid firefighter on duty
A lot of Cardiac Arrest LODDs happen after the call, usually within the twelve hours following the call.

Dehydration plays a big part in these cardiac arrests. We'd prevent many a heart attack if we properly REHAB everyone before they go back into service. I know we're all "tough guys" but will drinking 16 oz of water and 8 oz of sports drink after working a fire call really hurt that bad? It'll save your life. Especially if you're a little "seasoned" your body doesn't re-hydrate as quickly, so your heart works harder for longer pumping mud.

When I was going through Firefighter 1, with a Volunteer department, our primary Instructor told the students to keep an unopened 12 oz. bottle of water in our POVs and to drink it all enroute to the station for a fire call. While drinking a bottle of water while driving may not be the safest course of action, he definitely had a point about drinking water before fighting a fire.

Maybe we should cut back on the cofee, too?
I can only sit here and shake my head at the fact that this is 2008 and people STILL refuse to buckle up.
How selfish can a person be that they are willing to risk so much heartache for the ones who love them and will pay for the rest of THEIR lives for one, foolish, selfish act.
My heart goes out to the families.
TCSS.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service