Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the high level of incompetence shown, (especially where the young guys are concerned), in the arena of grammer? Dare I say spelling, but I am a lousy speller as well. Sister Virginia would kick my ass if she thought I was killing the English language the way these people do. As would most of the other teachers I've had, not to mention my mother! How does a person make it through life without the ability to communicate? I fear we as a society will be overrun by a culture of profesional communicators that can only say correctly, "Would you like to supersize that sir'? Am I just an idiot for noticing this or should I be happy that my son will grow up with the ability to speak and write? Or is that speek and rite?

Views: 904

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

we surpassed agony quite some time ago; I believe what we're experiencing now are the death throes. (as opposed to the Jethro's)
Subtle, yet VERY funny.
I dig subtle humor.
Happy to report the first one has been closed.
Second one has been completely removed.
(Lead in with Seinfeld music.)
I mean what is the deal with some of these explorers? One just posted a blog because he felt he had to:
"Well, since all the other newbies and probies posted something, I guess, so should I."

NO. You don't have to.
huh?
I thank we need anuther lessen in speling and useing the spel cHeker.
so tell me does it take good spelling to hang onto a hose line or to use a pike pole..
Could you spell that, please?
Sure -

T... H... A... T...
There is a difference between intentional misspellings, such as those you see in "txting" and in the new "chat room vernacular" and just plain illiteracy. I see many posts on here in the Forums section which are almost illegible...not due to "cute spelling" of words, but because the writer did not know how to spell the word, or used the wrong homonym in a sentence. "Do you no what I meen?"

I'll amdit that I am sometimes a "dyslexic typist" and will transpose letters, or "fat-finger" a word and have a simple typo. I've even been known to misplac ethe spac ebetween words. But I usually go back and read what I typed before I post it so I can fix those errors and prevent people from thinking I’m a moron (at least not because of my spelling and grammar).
No, it doesn't.

But effective communications can mean the difference between life and death.

Thanks for asking.
Here's an example of what I think we're talking about:

"r fire department started a little fire acadimy in the summer ware the public comes and let them try the hose the gear and the scba on and have them got threw little simlation what a fire fighter would go threw..."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service