Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the high level of incompetence shown, (especially where the young guys are concerned), in the arena of grammer? Dare I say spelling, but I am a lousy speller as well. Sister Virginia would kick my ass if she thought I was killing the English language the way these people do. As would most of the other teachers I've had, not to mention my mother! How does a person make it through life without the ability to communicate? I fear we as a society will be overrun by a culture of profesional communicators that can only say correctly, "Would you like to supersize that sir'? Am I just an idiot for noticing this or should I be happy that my son will grow up with the ability to speak and write? Or is that speek and rite?

Views: 903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You got dollars?
Think maybe we can put this baby to bed......??? Lets "go to the barn"....."Central dispatch...this is me....I'm back in service/back in quarters".........Paul
English, that is proper written and spoken English is becoming a dead language, as people today are more interested in doing things the easy way. From the ubiquitous "Text Speak" to the "IM" language, people are trying to find new ways to make communicating easier. We have become a nation of slackers, with everyone trying to find the easiest ways to do everything. Pride in ones self, and in ones work are becoming passe' to say the least. I for one, cannot stand people who speak in "street" language. I was taught to speak properly because that was the way to gauge one's intelligence. If this offends anyone, I apologize, because that is not my intention, but with education levels in this country at an all-time low, and congress complaining that we are producing a nation of illiterates, maybe it is time to start offending people.
and once again we've managed to render a semi-thoughtful discussion moot.
Nice job FOGIES
We excel at it.
Hijacked threads are us. We need theme music, though.
Na-na-na-na-na, Thread Man!
Nope, that's the Web Chief music...

It's a little known fact, but when you click on th "Report an Issue" link a giant "WC" lights up the skies.
my momma wuz a teechr (can u tel?).....pretyshur thy stik a big ol neadl in ur brayne and vacumate the cuntents whn yall bcum medix......aint dat ryit?
Communication is our greatest assett as Public Service Providers, be it in written text, or the gift of gab. How often do you see someone reading a book anymore? Its a shame, I agree, truly a lost art. The kids in school actually made fun of my daughter for her proper grammer........My goodness you gentlemen can get your feathers ruffled with relative ease!
Actually she was correct to use the word, "anymore" in her post. According to Webster the word is defined as:

anymore, adv. 1. any longer 2. nowadays; presently.

On the other three points, you sir, are correct. I will now retire to my position as "lurker."

GM
lurk away GM---some day maybe we'll see you on the FOGIES pages.....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service