there was a file of pictures that made its way around the fire service about a year ago featuring the gussetless truss or "finger-jointing of trusses
does anyone know who took those pictures
need to know as i wanted to include those in my new edition of firegroud strategies
if not, does anyone have any pics of the gussetless or finger-jointed truss
i woud gladly consider it for use
also there is a picture of afloor collapse where a couple of guys fell inot a cellar almost as soon as they walked in the door. i have attached that picture ansd well as the gussetless truss pics
again if anyone knows who took these and how to get in touch with these people, it would be greratly appreciated

Views: 279

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finger jointed anything is garbage. Gusset plates in general fail too easily and there should be a mandate to have additional fastening aside from a pounded in thin piece of galvonized metal. Trusses when being installed are tweaked from the start off the truck. The crane balances the truss (after the bounce off the truck, the ground, and other trusses. The gusset plates are little more than flex points.
Have you seen the TGI system? It is a wooden I beam which is extremely strong. Only problem is, the wires and pipes go through it and seeing that the I part of the beam is made of OSB (aka old shitty boards) I can only assume they will fail rapidly in fire also. They hold a lot of weight so contractors are using them like crazy up here.
http://www2.ahobbitshome.com:8080/images/FloorTrusses15.jpg

There are no gusset plates, and no fasteners. Just a 1 and 1/2" or 3 and 1/2" top and bottom and than anywhere from 10-14" thick webbing between the wood top and bottom rails. They are glued together, and are hung in joist hangers off the rim boards.
dont know anything abouut the trusses ,except they look like just another way to kill firemen to me..god help us,,,what they gonna come up with next?
I am taking a course on structural collapse and although I don't have any idea where to find picks the instructer gave us some scary info. These trusses are dove tailed together (like the sides of an old drawer) and held toghether wtih epoxy. That is the problem. The epoxy has a flash point of about 160 degrees! How long do you think that will hold in a fire situation. some where in upstate New York they were using these trusses to hold up 25,000 lbs of concrete. High heat and a lot of wait = DANGEROUS!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service