I'm still just getting started. Everyone I have met has been wonderful in sharing their knowledge and experiences with me. So I thought, if there was one thing you could pass on to the "new Kid" what would it be?

Views: 414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

B,
Something I find myself telling our new fire fighters & Jrs is that you can't learn anything if you already know everything.

I'm a safety officer so from my point of view something that it usually takes people a while to understand is that YOU are the first person responsible for your own safety.

If you have to think twice about something, you probably shouldn't do it.

If you don't KNOW - ask. Sometimes you get yourself & others in trouble if you do something the way you *think* it should be done. We do things certain ways for reasons.

Never leave your partner.

Never think you are smarter than the fire.

There is a difference in being afraid & having a very healthy respect for the situation. When you are trained to handle a situation you lose the fear but don't ever lose the respect or you might lose more than you bargian for.

2 seconds does make a difference

never think it won't happen to you

learn, train then learn & train and after that learn & train some more

be safe
Jen
sit down, shut up, pay attention...........and do what you're told, it just might save your life one day.
one more piece of advice that I give my new member, work smart, work hard. I have heard many times in my life about work smarter not harder. I am sure that many of us have heard that saying in our lives. My grandfather never said that, and he said alot of things! :) He would always say first think smart then work hard. Everything that you do should be done to the best of your ability. Think it first, analyze it and figure which way is the best way for you. Then work extremely hard! Pride is the best tool you can use. Be proud of the things you accomplish. If you work hard then the pride shows and others will respect that. That is just one of the many "keys to the car we call life." Be safe and learn something new today!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service