I was just wondering is other Volunteer Dept. Really hurting for Volunteers like we are ???

Views: 70

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Gregg, there a lot of VFDs who are in the same boat. Believe it or not, there are some departments out there that still have waiting lists! We don't have that luxury, however.

What are the characteristics of your department - suburbsn/rural, area covered, number of apparatus, and number of members?
If you're interested in any assistance, I offer you some of the blogs I've written specific to recruitment and retention issues.

You're not alone in the challenges you face. My experience has shown that action is what separates those who are successful at it - and those who are not.

Let me know how I can help.
Volunteering is a major issue, and theres a true lack of able bodied volunteers available to help restock aging departments. Lack of funding, equipment and a older corps of members (the ones who refuse to change) are major contributing factors for the lack of volunteers. A fire Departments reputation in the community also can affect membership. However, all too often you have great equipment, great firefighters (reguardless of age) great training (and sometimes even incentive pay) and the people still don't come. This is a major issue, and has been a growing issue since the average household became dependant on 2 incomes instead of a household being able to make it on one. In due time, with the correct recruiting and retention measures your department will again climb in membership. I must say to try and target the youth of the town. When given training, they mellow out (most of the time) and become great firefighters when they turn 18.
Well from my perspective my department is in a bad situation with volunteers. Currently the station I am at is down to three active volunteers. What is adding and in my opinion is badly hurting us is the volunteer department is considering selling the station to the county and just have the volunteers in one station. The volunteer department has two stations so they are looking to sell mine. So it is a problem in a majority of places not just yours. Hopefully so folks will post ideas on recruitment and retention.
here on long island its hard to get adults to join cause most are working 2 or 3 jobs we do have some tax reductions for home owners for kids county offers a tuition for kids in community collage in return for years of active service in fire dept
but volunteers shoulkd recive more some dept in our state give retirment packages to members if there tax payers can afford it

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service