All

Over the holiday weekend, I am BETA TESTING a new widget that adds some member privacy options.

On your profile page when logged in, you'll see a new option called 'Make Profile Private'. When you select this, it will make your profile INVISIBLE to all logged in users EXCEPT your friends. They will only see a blank page that tells them that they need to be your friend to see the profile, and an option to friend request you. The default option is for your profile to be totally public.

We'll see what the impact is...once you make your profile private you are likely to get an influx of friend requests ... but essentially its the same as MySpace, where you can make your profile private.

Additionally, for the time being, I've locked down profiles to the general public. If you are not a member, you cannot view profiles. Likewise for full view of submitted photos, you have to be logged in.

I'm testing this to see:

a) Do more people sign up with accounts to be able to view profiles and photos, and if they do are they the 'right' kind of members appropriate to the site. There are lots of people browsing out there without joining.

b) What the impact is to letting folks turn their profiles private, not just to individuals but also to search engines ... since Google and other search engines can find you on your profiles. But they can't if its marked private.

Please post any feedback and comments here.

Again this is ONLY a BETA TEST over the Holiday Weekend. I MAY or MAY NOT remove ALL or SOME of the privacy options explained above.

Thanks for the feedback as usual!

Web Chief

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see both sides of the coin, if I am networking to meet others in the business of training and education, why would I want to lock down my profile? The friends list is OK but I don't see the need to make a friend request and then allow them to see my profile... Many have made comments to me on how they liked my profile page from out of the blue... If people treat eachother professionally or care about their image, reputation, then nobody needs to lock out anyone.

And if you are dumb enough to talk incident specifics; or beat up how someone handled an incident "personally" on a public website, then I guess those people deserve the punishment that comes from their FD's administration. Most larger FD's have policies in place regarding public comment for calls or incidents that they responded to, dealing with media which FFN fits into, or speaking about injuries/death with HIPPA laws...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service