I have always heard that you can put a lid on a grease fire to put it out, but in this video (link at bottom of post), there appears to be other ways to do it. My aunt sent me this link about putting out grease fires and I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this. This is a copy of the email from her. Makes for interesting reading. Be sure to enter the link for the video and watch.
Please read this and watch the video.

This is so important ... as old as I am I never heard of doing the wet towel thing... but I will remember it after seeing this.

Kitchen Fire Safety -
This is a powerful message----watch the video and don't forget what you see. Tell your whole family about this video. Or better yet, send this to them.

This is a dramatic video (30-second, very short) about how to deal with a common kitchen fire ... oil in a frying pan. Please read the following introduction and then watch the show .. It's a real eye-opener !!

At the Fire Fighting Training school they would demonstrate this with a deep fat fryer set on the fire field. An instructor would don a fire suit and using an 8 oz cup at the end of a 10 foot pole toss water onto the grease fire. The results got the attention of the students.

The water, being heavier than the oil, sinks to the bottom where it instantly becomes superheated. The explosive force of the steam blows the burning oil up and out. On the open field, it became a thirty foot high fireball that resembled a nuclear blast. Inside
the confines of a kitchen, the fire ball
Hits the ceiling and fills the entire room.

***** Also, do not throw sugar or flour on a grease fire. One cup creates the explosive force of two sticks of dynamite!

Please view this video clip:

( http://www.ranaldofamily.com/SWF/KitchenOilFire.wmv )

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very good and very useful. This would be so useful for training. Thanks for the info.
flour is a powder which is like wood dust, explosive in the right conditions. As the particles disperce they become more spread out causing the explosion. It is common knowledge not to put water on a grease fire, and either a pan lid or damp towel will work. (a dry towel will add fuel before it could suffocate)
that is a very useful video!! thanks;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service