The other day, some of us were spit-balling ideas and wondered how we'd handle an extrication scenario involving an armored car. I was unable to find any information on the subject. The only thing I can think of is to contact an armored car company & see if they feel like sharing.

Does anyone here have any experience with doing an armored car extrication? Thanks in advance!

Views: 3399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One other comment in relation to exothermic torches and armored vehicle extrications...

Exothermic torches tend to throw lots of hot slag if you use them for plunge (straigt into a slab of sheet-type metal) cuts. They also throw an extremely hot flame and hot slag through the hole once you penetrate the sheet metal.
Ben- I wasn't assuming anything. I was merely commenting on someone else's post above.

As for deadly force, it CANNOT be used to protect money/property unless said property is vital to the National Security of the united States. The guards carry weapons for the deterrant value, as well as to protect their own lives. They would only be allowed to use deadly force to protect themselves from death or severe bodily harm.

However, it they had an altered mental status...then all bets are off.
Brian,

Please cite the law that prohibits using deadly force to protect money, property, or other valuables. I don't think said law exists.

Security guards in my state go armed specifically in order to be able to protect the money and valuables they are hired to guard.

Regardless...how is an armored car guard is supposed to differentiate between an attack on himself/herself and an attack on the money he or she is protecting, altered mental status or no?
We carry a rotozip for lexan glass.
Good point, damnthing. The thing is with those types of vehicles is you won't know what you have until you begin to extricate. Then you'll discover that it's an armored SUV or limo. That would be an interesting extrication though!
Call Brinks and explain your concerns, most companies are more than happy to assist departments on the possible care of their employees. As well as the company its self find out the manufacturer and they should have some insight as well. There may be a lengthy discution so they know your not going to try and rob them but it usually works. We had the DEA come in and od a class on Meth, they actually showed us how its made and the steps to do it in so we would know if we ever were in that situation.
LT Ron
Great info, thanks Ron.
Personal protection cars like limo's,vans and ordinary sedans could be a challenge. These personal protection vehicles have built in defense systems.Pepper gas,sticky foam,oil release ground systems and some with ballistics.Cut into any one of those lines would be interesting? Education would be the key word before attempting any vehicle that is a rolling safe haven.Hell there's probably systems in these nightmares we don't even know about.It would be rolling the dice and the sad thing is somebody would try it!
i found a very interesting article on it

http://www.firefightingincanada.com/content/view/2129/213/

its in canada but i think armored cars are the same everywhere
My department had a crashed armored Brinks truck donated to us last year, it was built in 2005 the front Glass was about 1 or so thick.
We simply cut the doors off with a K-12 with no problems. I tried cutting the glass with an air chisel to see if it that would work once I was able to make a hole in it. It cut it but was a bit time consuming, a axe would have probably been more effective. The box had two layers of metal with insulation in between them, so a cutting torch set it on fire. As far as the guards protecting the money in a crash if the guard was seriously injured and felt his life was at risk he will probably say screw some banks money, I'm outta here.
But from a rescuer stand point I'm not going to to put myself at risk unnecessarily either if he warns me that he will protect the contents until one of his own arrives
I took some pics of the truck afterwords, I'll look an see where the hell I put them and I'll let you all know if find them.
I'd love to see those pictures if you can find them.
The US Army has a Device called a rat hook.. basically what its for is to rip the door right off a Humvee to allow access to entrapped patients.. Ive seen it in action a few times and the movment is so fast and violent I dont know how it would work in the Enviorments that we work in..
It attaches to the top of the door and the bottom of the door with a few light taps and then a long chain is attached to another heavy vehicle and when the signal is given the driver guns it and the door is taken with it ..

Again I dont know how it would work on an Armored truck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service