Based upon rank/position; "What is the Single most important thing you should either know (knowledge) or be competent in (skill), within your position?" i.e; Firefighter, Firefighter/EMT, Lieutenant, Captain, Engineer/Apparatus Operator; Safety Officer, RIT Officer, Battalion or District Chief, Shift Commander, Deputy or Assistant Chief, Chief of Department etc. Name the position and what you believe is THE Most Important thing you should either know or be competent in………(OK, IF you're having trouble picking just ONE, try the top two..)

Views: 583

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like it! Excellent point for "seasoned vs. probie". I very much respect the comment about a firefighter being the most important tools on the rig. Our equipment does not operate itself.And without a thorough knowledge of how a piece of equipment works, its limitations and the recognizing the need for a specific tool given a certain scenario. In other words, you don't have to have rank ( Lt. , Capt., Chief etc...) to know your job and be a leader.
Now about being referred to as a tool...... LOL
I'll have to say I haven't read all of the replies so I might copy some.... but I'd have to say yep- safety BUT also the strengths and weaknesses of the crew on the rig! No setting up for failure. how well you and the crew all interact is a big thing on the the fire ground. just my two cents
The common denominator between all the positions you listed is this.....you must be technically and tactically proficient. Granted SAFETY is paramount on everything we do, whether its day-today operations around the station, training, or actual operations on the fireground or hazmat scene.
When I say "technically and tactically proficient" I mean, being up on the latest trends, technologies, tactics, etc. You can be the most "book smart" person in the FD, but if you don't have the common sense, or the experience to apply what you've learned, then you're "taking up space (or position) and sucking up oxygen (i.e. USELESS to the Dept.), or worse, getting someone hurt or killed. The first person that tells you..."I know everything there is to know about firefighting WILL get you killed and is probably an idiot. Here are a few traits that I like to see in various positions:

Firefighters: Gain as much knowledge as you can (Take classes, read, train, etc)
Drivers/Engineers: Subject Matter Experts on your assigned Apparatus
Line Officers (LT's and CPT's): Know ICS (inside and out) and USE IT!!!!!!! Watch out for your people. Take care of them and they'll take care of you. Never ask/order any of your subordinates to do anything that you wouldn't do yourself.
Chiefs: Work to give your personnel and Department the tools they need to protect the lives and property of the community. Fight the big fights and protect your firefighters!!!!!!
I think there are 2; understanding every aspect of fire behavior and structural integrity. I believe it is critical in any position, but the most pivotal is the company officer. The first-in person can either make or break the outcome of any incident.
The single most important "thing" as a chief is to practically apply what you have learned to motivate and inspire your men and women to perform their duties safely and without hesitation with the necessary tools and oversight to achieve a successful outcome.
In my role as head trustee, it is my job to make sure that the chief does his job.
TCSS.
Art
I served as a company officer for a Chief who was the same way. The best part about him was he knew he was just about worthless on the fire ground other than a pump operator or as a safety officer. When he was selected as the Chief he pulled in all his officers and told us up front that if we would pick up his slack on the fire ground he would pick up ours on the admin side. To this day it's the smoothest I have ever seen a FD run.
Not to split hairs, but if you are on the fire department and he is the chief, then you are, in fact, "following" him.
I get a kick out of the guys who are critical of their chief officers. They exist because YOU LET THEM! Some of you are no more of a leader than the ones you criticize, if you're not willing to shut up and step up.
So, he's chief and you're not. Why is that? Good ole boy culture? Then again; shame on you. Fire commission appointed him? Shame on you for not going to your elected officials and demanding change. Unless someone holds a gun to your head, if you're not satisfied with the current state of affairs, then what
are you doing to change it?
Hell; it's easy to throw stinging one line insults out and it's kinda fun, but at the end of the day, what is getting done to fix the problem?
If a chief is so dangerous to himself and his men that you wouldn't "follow" him anywhere, then it's a bigger problem than you describe.
Keep in mind that my comments are made in general and is not a personal attack on the participants.
"You" is used hypothetically.
But, for my last remark; it's that I get irritated when there is an inference made that chiefs make a good paperweight, but is "chaos" at a scene.
TCSS.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service