Hola,
Just wanted to get some honest feed back about how men feel about having women serve as FF. Please be very honest! The reason for this is:
1. I have witnessed society feels women can't do this job- we are to fragile , etc.
2. People think women that work around a bunch of men must be easy or having relations with at least one of the them
3. Sexual harrassment issues arise more often
4. Some men have trouble taking orders from a woman (or vice versa)
These are just a few of the things I have seen or heard about.. Please share y you feel this way

Views: 2214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have a problem with a lady doing the job as long as she has demonstrated that she can do it and do it competently.
I think you need to look at the individual. As a volunteer i've worked with several women FF's. Some were/are good firefighters and some not so good. one of the women who i felt were very good was at one time a chief in my dept. she worked her way up through the ranks, and for the most part was respected as an equal by most of the members.I never had a problem taking an order from her. Theirhave been a few others i know who were firehouse cancers and would play the sex card when it benefitted them.
i dont have a problem with women being ff's, we have 3 in our dept. me i welcome it.
Let's let it rest!! Enough already. There has to be more to discuss than this topic that is sure to start a bunch of negative (I heard, i was told, a guy on "B" Shift told a guy on "C" shift) crap stories about women in their department.
1.) Be where you are supposed to be.
2.) Do what you are told to do.
3.) Be on time.
Three simple rules to live and work by.
Has anyone heard from the original poster since this thread was started? I don't think she has been back to comment on the 35 pages of comments.
I'm on a volunteer fire dept but just as an EMT. I also am very feminine, I always wear a skirt and have long hair (which is pulled up). I have never had any trouble with the guys, I do my part, don't have a problem lifting when I need to, or climbing into a wreck to do what needs done, but neither am I trying to act like a guy. For the most part, I'm treated like a sister. They do take me seriously but I did have to prove that I knew what I was doing. I realize that being an EMT is different that being a FF but that's been my experience. I love being on the dept and being part of the team.
I think if they can do the job, then by all means. I've worked with some women who are the best firefighters I have ever seen. I have also worked with women who shouldn't be in the fire service. I can also say that about men that I've worked with. So, if they've got what it takes then I think they should be encouraged to join up, if they haven't already.
I suppose that depends on the department you sign up in. I wish I would have noticed this after my first reply, but I won't lie by saying that this world is peachy keen on women firefighters/ems providers. You saw my opinion, if not see below, and fortunately many in my department share that opinion. As a rejoinder, there are a few that don't. I think that the best way to get accepted is to show that you know the drill, so to speak. Do your assigned task, do it well and do it safely, that's a big one. If you can handle that, then I can't see why they wouldn't accept you. But then again, prejudices are usually blind to reality. I would say give it a shot. If for whatever reason you have problems of this type, then they should be able to be resolved. If worse comes to worse, there's always another department. Fear of a potential problem is not something that should prevent you from joining. The fire/ems service needs everyone who's willing to do the job. Skills are very important, but it's the willingness and drive to keep getting on the truck or on the squad even after you had a bad trauma, or a nasty wreck or hauled a kid. That's what makes us emergency service providers. And that I think is what people need to judged on, not thier gender.
I've been in it for 5 years.. and I'm obviously a women. The biggest compliment that I've ever been given is this.. there are 3 female "firefighters" in my fire house.. and the other 2 are questionable to say the least.. "when you put your bunker gear, you're Ana. You aren't a girl, you are my partner. And when I tell you to pop the door, I don't have to go see if it's done, I know it is. And when I tell you to cut a hole in the roof, I know that it's done." THAT is where it should be at. And if your partners can't say that about you, whether you're male or female, you aren't doing your job.
As a Deputy Chief, I have No problem with women in the Fire service.
As a matter of fact I welcome them,, I Have found that it tames down the fire House a little.I have 5 women on my Dept, and all have a nitch somewhere, Not all are in interior , 3 of my 5 do interior and all 5 are in EMS.
A large majority of women make up our department, fire fighter is a non sex term,
Our Dept has 3 women in it-2 on EMT,and the other a firefighter. And we welcome any others that want to join. This should tell you something!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service