Take a look at the video that I post "Trapped In Burning Garage". After taking a look at it you will have alot to talk about. How your dept. can keep from making the same mistakes.

Views: 216

Replies to This Discussion

Wow...where does one start without making it seem its a "Bash" against this department? Firefighter 101...chock the garage door open. When the springs get heated they loose their coil and start to release, and the runners get warped so its difficult to open the door back up. They failed to chock the door open...and on top of that one firefighter stood there and WATCHED as the door slowly fell shut!!! It boils down to training and knowledge.
That should make for a good training video!!!!
Moose
A lot of lessons to be learned from this video. The firefighters were very lucky the door was rolled up when it did. If you notice the smoke it looked as though a flashover might be brewing.
Hello: My name is Mike Orbell a Fire Fighter with the Inuvik NWT Fire Department and we responded to what seemed to be a shed fire, until we spoke with the owner. The shed had 4 ski-doos in it , him and some friends were working on their sleds, and using high octaine fuel , the shed was heated with a small wood stove. With the heat and fuel present one of the guys was getting dizzy and opened the door allowing for outside air to enter and the place flashed over. When we got on scene the 3 guys were rolling in the snow as the place went up. Crazy!
A similar thing happened to one of our firefighters back in the early 80's. (No I wasn't there still in elementary school at the time). Moose pretty much hit on the head. I couldn't believe the firefighter and what I guess was an EMT standing there watching the door come down, all the while the EMT was calling to a dog! I get not being aware that the door could fall, but when it started to fall, the was no reaction until it was down.

I don't like even entering garages through the overhead doors, I much prefer a man door if there, and an exterior fight when you can, and you usually can. You can get alot accomplished without entering a garage until the fire is knocked down and conditions have improved.
We no longer prop the door up. Heat will cause the tracks to fail and the door will fall to the floor. With any luck none of your guys will be under the door when it falls. Better to saw a big, triangle shaped door into the middle of the garage door. Much safer.
That sounds good but what happens if the door is one of the heavy ones vice grips will not hold i have seen it happen .

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service