With the "oldest" discussion going, I was wondering if anyone still rides tailboard. I thought the NFPA standard was grandfathered in.

Views: 522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nope, I don't think anyone is allowed anymore. We had friends that got married and my old chief wouldn't even let thm ride for a coulple of blocks.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I remember I used to. We can "ride" the tailboard while "backing" in a tight spot. We dont even ride tailboard in parades anymore, we sit in the hose bed.
Its a no no here in nj unless you loading hose back on
I remember the day's of riding the side boards of the ladder truck,
holding on to the rail, and suiting up on the way to the call.
Dangerous, you bet it was, but those were the day's.
I also remember riding on the side boards of our tiller truck,
going down the road sideway's, now that was the best. I will
always remember the good O'l Day's
When I first started back in 1987 we rode the tail boards. It changed within a few months of my start. In the winter it would get pretty cold, but you would hold on for dear life!!!

Paul
Ya, it is not safe and we wised up an moved to the cab, then we got smarter and enclosed the cab. But
when riding the tailboard or in an open cab you could see what you had before you got there, that I miss.
Yes, there are still places that still ride the tailboard (even though it isn't as common as it used to be)
And the NFPA makes recommendations only.....they can not "enforce" anything.
That being said, most American fire apparatus began placing the "death and dismemberment" placards on the rearstep and the "wear seatbelts" signs around the seats after Pirsch was sued when a member fell from a piece of apparatus and was killed (I think.....might have just been a serious injury)
Any new apparatus has to be fully enclosed and have seatbelts and all of those placards to cover the apparatus manufacturer from liability (unless you sign a waiver and have them build you an open cab piece with no seatbelts, which if they chose to build would be outlandishly expensive, and you would run the risk of not being able to insure it or members on it and maybe not complying with local laws)

But yes, there are still places running old 2 man cab pieces that have no choice but to put members on the tailboard (they just will have a HUGE liability problem when/if someone gets hurt)
No way do we ride tailboard. if you're on our tailboard, the wheels better be chocked, or it's in the garage, and turned off.
yes, but keep in mind that not all trucks in use have fully enclosed cabs. My company's engine and truck both still have open jump seats. both were produced in the 80's, so they may be a bit outdated, but i'm gonna be very sad when we replace them with fully enclosed cab trucks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service