houses or buildings doesnt matter

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember back around 8 years ago, getting toned out for a building fire at the other end of town that is not usually covered by my company. Going to the firehouse I wondered why we were going to that, maybe the companies on that end of town had another auto alarm. A major thunderstorm was passing through at the time. We get to the building and check it out with negative results. While there we found out that the companies that usually responded to this end were working a signal 10, a house struck by lightning.

While getting ready to leave, all of the companies at our alarm get toned out for a house fire, not far from the one that was going on at that time. We get there and wind up seeing fire venting about 30 feet into the air through the roof. This house was struck by lightning too. That was a busy night.
We caught a job in a house of squatters (had 2 jobs already there), that burned pretty well for its third time lol. Well we get packed up and on the way back to HQ (all of a 1/2 mile) we get toned out for another. Head over to the other end of our little ghetto and detached garage turned shed is burning. knock that out...pack up....back on to HQ. So we are BS'n playing cards and we get toned out for a Mutual Aid to a naboring department. End of story was I got home @ 6am and had work detail in the morning. Lets just say I didnt make it off the couch in my company's room lol.
We just had this experience not all that long ago. A few weeks tops. Anyway... a small thunder storm had passed through town and a funeral home got struck by lightning and caught fire. My station was told to standby at a hydrant. We were later asked for operators for our cascade system. The 1st. Lt. and I walked to the other end of the block where the Chief was to wait for the air unit. While up there the chief asked if there was a full crew on our engine. We told him if we're on it yes, without us no. He told us to go back to the engine that we had another one. We ran back to the engine to find that we were being dispatched to a possible structure fire down toward the other end of town. It turned out to be a small electrical fire. Our engine was first on scene there. Some guys I know from the truck company that went to both calls said they'd never repacked that truck so fast. All in all, it was a crazy day. There was another call later on that evening for an auto alarm at the local Wise potato chip plant as well.
vafd105: you guys have had multiple 10's multiple times right..haha.. you guys always seem busy

back before i was in my dad told me of how they had 3 sig 10's (working fires) within 24 hrs.

it was back in 1971
at around 11:30pm sig 10 at five corners (merrick and hempstead) was put out by 4am... then 530am signal 10 at the same intersection .. (from the same fire but more stores now)..newspaper articles i have say the fire ragged for 10 hrs dont know if they were on scene that long total..
later that day there was a house fire on fowler ave.
was told tallyho(e423) pulled onto the neighbors front lawn and was inches from his house and pretty much destroyed his lawn and the guy still brought out refreshments for everyone..
Had it happen several different times actually.

Once was just a few hours after I made the comment that it had been a while since I had to force entry on a house fire. I then proceeded to force entry three times in less than 12 hours.

One time we had a working fire at a residence during a thunderstorm. We were second due, so shortly after getting it knocked down we were released. As we were pulling out the subdivision I saw a column of black smoke down the opposite way we were going. I told my engineer to take the scenic route so we could see what was burning when dispatch called to ask our location and status. We told them where we were and we were available for call...they sent us to the smoke. Another working structure fire. Since we were first due we stripped our truck. Right after we got reloaded we caught a third fire in a workshop. This one wasn't lightning related, but was heavily involved when we arrived. While we were on that one the crew that manned the station caught a mobile home fire that was 25% involved on arrival. Bunch of stinky bunker gear at the station the next day.
Not very often on structures, but once in a while. Our neighbor dept to the northwest had a 600 acre forest fire a few weeks ago, and we were running from one house to the next painting them with foam as the fire approached. While in the middle of that, our neighbor to the north had a commercial structure fire, to which we also had to respond with a pumper and ladder truck. Everyone then had a chance to put in a full day's work at their regular jobs, when about 4:00 the next day we get paged for a brush fire in the middle of nowhere that we couldn't get trucks to, then while on that one a page for another one about 2 miles away. It was a very long week.
we had two house fires in one day we just returned to the station and cleaned the scba's and packed dry hose on the truck were ready to leave the station and was activaited for the second house fire
Its only happened once where we've had 2 major structure fires going at the same time and it happened to that the house next to it caught on fire from high winds.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service