I would like to know your feelings on having Firefighters from Out of Country participating in live in programs at fire depts. Do you think this should be allowed?

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why not? It's about learning from one another. Problem would be the language barrier.
yeah why not we have exchange students in our high schools,folks from all over the world going to our colleges,why not our brothers from other countries coming here to see how we do what we do hell we might even learn a thing or two from them hey and would'nt be cool to go some place else to see how they train and work
I think it was about 2 years ago...

There was a Special Forces Elite Guard Unit from the Middle Eastern Country of Quatar at the Maryland Fire Rescue Institute (MFRI) for fire fighting and rescue training. They were live in students at the University for approximately 2 months or so if I remember correctly.

I think that if there are folks looking at our programs from around the globe, we must be doing something right!! If this is the place for folks to travel - sparing no expense, they could have gone anywhere in the world - to get the best possible training, we should be Proud of what we are doing and what we have accomplished as a department, as a system, as a family. One goal, one universal system of procedures and communication so that we can all accomplish a common goal.

I think these programs can only improve the services that we provide to our communities. Someone else's experiences and points of view, coming right to our fire houses, that is truly progress... How many times have we spoken to someone from outside our station or juristiction and found a new use for a simple tool, or a complex rescue system?? It happens locally and regionally, why not nationwide and worldwide??
We had a small group of firefighters from Sweden, and it work'd out great.
I spent six weeks in Australia on an exchange and it was (and still is) one of the most amazing and educational opportunities I have ever had. And I even had to learn a foreign language to communicate ("fireie", "bush-fire", Lamingtons). And when I tell you they don't have firehouse coffee, I'm not kidding.

I would highly recommend it and if you can host someone coming in, I'd encourage that as well. I still follow news about the firefighters of Queensland and New South Wales and count them as family.
I would love to train with a European dept. They seem to be light years ahead of us in safety.
I hate to use terms like this, but a body is a body, and when that body comes with practical fire experience (comperable to ours) we can fine tune them with our department standards and rock on. I think this is a great idea so long as the area doing the switch is ok with it.
i think it is a good idea maybe they can teach us new ways of doing something that we did not think of.
I agree it would be a outstanding opportunity to gain knowledge. I can think of one Aussie in particular I'd like to make entry with.What do ya think mate?
Good lord, pulling the mate out of the bush, talk about probie on steroids LOL!!! Hes pretty gung ho, think you guys would break him in good on the first job for sure
I think that the live-in program would be pretty badass. I've never been associated with it but I'd like to. I think it would be an interesting experience either way- for someone to come work with my crew or I go elsewhere. Can't hurt can it?
I think that it is no different than training with mutual aid departments. Everyone has their own way of doing things, and when you get the crews together training together, they pass some of those methods and procedures off to each other, which does nothing more than give you another way of doing something. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt, but you wont know until you try.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service