This made me sick to watch. How does the Government just not protect these guys?

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=60096&catid=37

The Volunteer Fire Chief in Wilson is currently serving a tour of duty in Afghanistan. In addition to his duties, he's serving as a volunteer fireman. However, he quickly learned firefighters on his military base in Kabul don't have the proper equipment to do their jobs.

Chief Gary Darnell had to have his safety gear shipped from home. Other than a couple of trucks, the other soldiers are lacking the equipment needed to fight a fire. Some of them are forced to wear simple fatigues.

It wasn't long before Niagara County Fire officials realized something needed to be done. They organized a major gear drive with companies throughout the county to collect items that will outfit some 25 firefighters from head to toe. Last week, they shipped four crates full of equipment off to the soldiers.

2 On Your Side reached out to members of the local delegation to find out why the military doesn't supply the firefighters with the equipment they need. So far, Rep. Louise Slaughter, (D) 28th District responded.

"When our nation is spending billions every month in Iraq and Afghanistan, there should be more than enough equipment to go around. I have begun making inquiries as to why this shortfall in critical equipment exists."

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The old saying back when I was in the Army was, "Always remember that your weapon & equipment were provided by the lowest bidder".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service