I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get a mini light bar for my Chevy Cobalt, just wondering what everybody thinks about it. Go to the link and tell me what you think. Tell me the truth it won't hurt my feelings.

Views: 1514

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

before i would get any type of light , the first thing to do is check your state laws, then your insurance co. they may not cover you in the case of an accident. Trust me they do happen, my personel opinion emergency lights on pov's should not be allowed. but each to his own
James, Your first reponse nailed it. Sean was right. "DONT DO IT." The blue light is so you can be idenified at the scene as someone who belongs there. Any minimal light serves that purpose well. Huge wonder bars on POVs not only look totally out of place but seriously compromise the drivers credibility. And that comes back on The Service itself. Keep The Faith. Pete
Don't get the light bar! I think it looks stupid. IMO. Get the led's in your windshield and grill wig wags for the head lights should alert anyone. Also with it being your personal car when you go out your car won't be mistaken for a police car and vandilized. I guess that would depend on where your located then. because our police are blue and fire red but just a couple miles over the line police are red as well. All in all it's your car put what you like and can afford.
all i have to say is what does you state say about you lights mine sayes it has to be visable from 360 degrees
for a cobalt i would go with either a whelen responder or the soundoff pinical the both are excelent lights the responder is a bit more however here are some pics of my truck
Attachments:
Better look into state dmv guidelines first.nys states 1 blue light,and must be visible from 365 degrees at all times.in the past i've used a hot shot (1 rotator)and a grote 15in. mini-bar wit 2 rotators,and 4 magnet mount base.The Mini-Bar did not blow off of any of the 4 vehicles I had including the saturn ion(sister to cobalt).I did how ever blow off my Integra at a speed i'm not admitting(wasn't responding to a call).It has the best visibility.
my state says you can only have one red light on your dash board. But they don't say anything about it as long as we have a red light permit. It's an old law that hasn't been updated. I had strobes in my headlights (clear) and in the tail lights (red) of my F150 pick up and still got poeple to move before i had any red lights in the front. I just put it on a revolving pattern they think its a cop and move for them lol. Now if we could only get them to think the ambulance was a cop! maybe then they would move out of our way.
On our Dept we are not realy allowed to use lights other then our 4 way flashers to respond to the station. We are also not allowed to take our povs unless told to buy an officer, and that is usualy if all vehicals have left the station before you, and they need extra man power. They feel that povs with lights runnen code, is a liability they dont wish to have. I do however have a state police crown vic that is set up for pilot/flagging it has corner strobes in the turn signal, tail light, and backup light housings. I also have directional leds and red/amber warning leds in rear window, leds on rear pasenger and driver side windows, and double led red/amber in front window. These seem to work good for me a little more money but dosent take away from the looks of the car and they really show up during the day, and they can be seen from a distence. Just my oppinion hope it helps, but as others said its what you want and what the law says you can have. Even piolot cars have to abide by certain rules when comes to lighting, and the colors used our state no blue.
Here is one for you about the use of Four-way Flashers.

Recommended by: The Select Committee, Fire Service Association of Nova Scotia, Office of the Fire Marshal and the Province of Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia Traffic Management Guidelines for Emergency Scenes

The use of four-way flashers by responding firefighters should not be permitted and this should be enforced by all Chief’s ASAP:

This dangerous practice gives other motorists the impression that the responding firefighter is actually driving slowly or is stopped. This may result in other motorists making decisions or actions that may result in collision or injury when they realize that the responding firefighter is not slow moving at all.

On some vehicles, the four-way flashers override or may conflict with the normal use of turn signals. And on some vehicles the application of the brakes suspends the four-way flashers’ operation. The result is added confusion and the greater possibility of a serious problem including accidents.

Thanks
Art
Lights in your Car is better with exterior light you get noise also stay lowprofile its a lot better how are the PD with lights on POVs
Lights are neither silly, nor dangerous. Lights are a tool, and when properly used by someone trained in their proper use, get you to the Firehouse or scene more quickly and more safely than would be possible without them.

If you are putting lights on a POV, then considering how the lights look when they are not in use is an important consideration, since they will be turned off 99% of the time. I recommend lights which are either hidden, or compliment the look of your vehicle. If you drive a sedan, then a visor light and a deck light with a siren under the front bumper are probably a good choice. If you drive a pickup, then maybe a mini light bar would be appropriate. Make sure you have appropriate markings on your vehicle (FD member tag, state flashing light permit, etc...).

So one you have the tools installed on your POV, make sure you know how to use them. If your department or state offers a POV emergency driving class, take it! If not, then follow your department's SOPs about using a flashing light while responding. Most states that allow a flashing light also require you use a siren whenever the light is on - some states prohibit sirens on POVs. If your state prohibits sirens, then invest in a loud horn or even a compact air horn for under your hood. Follow speed limits for emergency vehicles, in my state the speed limit while responding is Posted+10mph (except in school zones where it is the posted speed limit). Pay attention to driving conditions and go slow when appropriate; emergency driving does not equal fast driving.

Basically the purpose of a flashing light when responding to a call, whether to the station or to the scene is to alert other drivers as to your intentions. You may have to maneuver around traffic at a stop light and proceed when safe, you may be cruising at x+10 on open road and a car on a side street will understand that you are traveling faster than normal because they see your flashing light. Your flashing light is not armor! It won't move cars out of your way, and it isn't a license to drive wildly or develop tunnel vision. As we say in the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses, "Keep your head on a swivel" while emergency driving.

Your job is to get to the call safely so you can do your job on the fire ground, your flashing light and siren is one tool to help you get there safely, just like your seat belt is a tool to help you get you there safely. Other tools in your response tool kit are: Turn Signals, mirrors, common sense, practice, good tire tread, good brakes, a full tank of gas, SOPs, and courtesy toward other drivers (yes even in an emergency courtesy will get you there faster than getting in an accident).

Just as a good tool, well used, can help you do a good job, a good tool poorly used can cause terrible damage.

Use your tools wisely!

Greenman
In my state BLUE flashing lights are reserved for Law Enforcement Vehicles and are prohibited on POVs.

RED flashing lights and AMBER flashing lights require a Flashing Light Permit from the State. Volunteer Firefighters are exempt form the $2 fee for the permit. You MUST have an "audible warning device" (siren) when you have you RED flashing light on.

GREEN flashing lights are specifically prohibited.

WHITE flashing lights do not require any special permit. White "perimeter" strobes are legal without a permit and do not designate your vehicle as an "emergency vehicle" but do alert other drivers to you when you have them on.

A "flashing light" is defined as a rotating, flashing or strobe light.

Check the laws in your state, county, city and department before you invest anything in lights or sirens.
Check with your insurance and drive safely at all times.

IMHO, the US DOT should standardize light colors across all states since we do send emergency vehicles across state lines for Mutual Aid, especially during regional disasters such as hurricanes, and wildfires.

Greenman

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service