I am looking for training ideas from "back in the day". . I want to spend the next few months with my FD getting back to basics. We have had a year full of training but none of it has really been on fire. I think fire is still part of the job but I don't remember what it looks like or feels like anymore. What type of basic drills did you guys do when you started that you still remember. I'm asking this of the Vets you know who you are the guys that couldn't live without the 3/4 boots and long coat, the one without all the "toys" we have now. Any thought on hose dragging, ladders, pumping anything you got I will look into.

Michael

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

old timers eatin smoke and spittin blood thats how it use to be done right
I think most missed the point from the author, being that in today's modern progressive customer-service business; where we agree to do more with less (economy driven budgets) We tend to see our training turning to more of the "other" things we can do, instead of training on the basics we must do.

I for one totally agree with Michael, that the basics may be lacking if we as an organization spend more time on HazMat Technician refreshers, EMT-I and P refreshers, below grade, high angle, swift water, ice rescue, and trench rescue specialty team training not to mention terrorism and weapons of mass destruction.

What have others seen at their department's recent back to basics job....
Mike I know this post is now old school, But Back in the old days we had scoped out areas where we could do water flow drills oe Pond or water source for MPO training , ladder pipes master streams and general get everyone wet.. we also had a few places where under direction we were allowed to do hose evolutions because we all know a single story station gets boring quickly... the idea is to do 1 3/4 stretches as if you were doing attacks, up interior stairs up, exterior stairs and yeah use a little imagination to make it a hot and smokey but the idea is to get the guys thinking in the mode... there are all sorts of possible ideas ...
Well i think you dont have jones snap lines anymore so i guess thats out of the ?
Old but still valuable drills:With a blacked out mask,learn to "read"couplings thru gloves to know which way is out.If the troops get good at it,intertwine a few lines. Got some "hotshots" with Scba? Black out the mask and have them assemble the bottle to the pack,don it and go on air,while blacked out.See how many uses you can find for a 10" webbing loop.
We used to charge a 1 1/2" and then have 2 FF's advance, back up, move it to the right and left, as well as change the pattern while they were crawling (on grass, it was easier on the turn-outs). It was good on a hot day, you got totally wet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service