I was told that NFPA follows OSHA when it comes to PPE.. With that, i will now delve into my Question.. It has been said that OSHA has now implemented a new guideline for places that require the use of SCBA to install the frame and corrective lenses inside the face piece of the SCBA for that individual at the expense of the buisness...If the NFPA does follow OSHA where PPE is concerned... then the NFPA will require that the face piece for each firefighter who requires corrective lenses be intiated or performed at the Depts expense... Nothing has been set in stone yet, from what i have been told.. Can anyone else shed some light on this subject?? Mainly since there are paid an volunteer depts who cannot afford to have a mask fitted and made for those who require corrective lenses.. anyone who has insight on this issue would be greatly be appreciated...

thanks.

Views: 848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I generally left my glasses on the dash of the vehicle I was grabbing the pack from. And like Ted I could see well enough to make my way around the scene without too much difficulty. I didn't get the full bifocal prescription either, just the distance part.
HEY FIREMAN 1049 you and the guys have just spelled out most of your narrative for a fema grant. firefighter saftey is first and you need to ask for the equipment to do so. ask for a tic and then ask for masks so that you can issue each firefighter their own mask with glasses. state the fact that you and the rest are not getting younger and recruits come slow and vision is impaired, i think you get the idea use your imagination. of course if osha would come down to redneck country we would all be in jail. HEY WATCH THIS!!!!! is not what osha want to hear. it tends to elimanate STUPID and osha is sworn to protect them.
I know the drager scba have a special eyeglass frame that fit inside the mask, I was under the impresion that all scba manufactors had someway of placeing eyeglasses inside so not to interfer with the mask seal. I agree that everyone need their own mask because you dont know who wore the mask before or how well they cleaned it afterwards. If they didnt do so a good job of cleaning you might as well go and kiss the guy, you may get less germs
An update to this - we just hired a new recruit class, and one of them has to wear prescription lenses all of the time. I was present when our fit testing gurus did the fit test, and got a better look at the in-mask eyeglass frame.

MSA's eyeglass frames snap into their standard mask. If your department uses MSA masks and doesn't issue individual masks, you can still wear the in-mask glasses by just snapping them into a mask of the correct size for your face each time you need it.

A better practice would be for the department to issue individual masks to members who wear prescription lenses, even if the department can't afford masks for every member.
I bought my own kit for use in my departments scott face pieces.

On the nose cup there is a tap that the spectical kit hooks to it is quick and easy to use so I can put it in and take it out in a couple of seconds.
Sounds like it will cost the department a lot of money and a lot of paperwork in writing the waiver/exclusion for each person who wears glasses or contacts. What did it way about lasik surgery.
Why would you need any waiver or exclusion if the department spends about $30 for the eyeglasses frame insert?

The individual is responsible for providing his/her own prescription lenses, and I guarantee that those are less expensive for the individual than lasik surgery.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service