I was told that NFPA follows OSHA when it comes to PPE.. With that, i will now delve into my Question.. It has been said that OSHA has now implemented a new guideline for places that require the use of SCBA to install the frame and corrective lenses inside the face piece of the SCBA for that individual at the expense of the buisness...If the NFPA does follow OSHA where PPE is concerned... then the NFPA will require that the face piece for each firefighter who requires corrective lenses be intiated or performed at the Depts expense... Nothing has been set in stone yet, from what i have been told.. Can anyone else shed some light on this subject?? Mainly since there are paid an volunteer depts who cannot afford to have a mask fitted and made for those who require corrective lenses.. anyone who has insight on this issue would be greatly be appreciated...

thanks.

Views: 848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know it may be hard to come up with the money however all members should have there own face piece anyways.
The NFPA and OSHA have had this requirement for several years.
We fit test due to the OSHA 29 CFR 1910.134 Respiratory Protection standard specifies that tight-fitting facepieces cannot have anything that interferes with the seal. That includes eyeglasses, even ones with flexible, tight-fitting bands.

The OSHA standard goes on to state:

"1910.134(g)(1)
Facepiece seal protection.
1910.134(g)(1)(i)
The employer shall not permit respirators with tight-fitting facepieces to be worn by employees who have:
1910.134(g)(1)(i)(A)
Facial hair that comes between the sealing surface of the facepiece and the face or that interferes with valve function; or
1910.134(g)(1)(i)(B)
Any condition that interferes with the face-to-facepiece seal or valve function.
1910.134(g)(1)(ii)
If an employee wears corrective glasses or goggles or other personal protective equipment, the employer shall ensure that such equipment is worn in a manner that does not interfere with the seal of the facepiece to the face of the user."

The original text of this standard was mandated on January 8, 1998. In other words, this isn't a new requirement - it's been required for over a decade.

The interpretation of the last two specifications are that we can't wear anything that fits between the face and the mask seal, including eyeglasses frames. It is the responsibilty of the employer to provide PPE forhazards that can reasonable be anticipated on the job. That obviously includes SCBA for firrefighters. Volunteers are not excluded. There is ample legal precedent to define volunteers as unpaid employees for OSHA purposes.

The NFPA 1500 Firefighter Occupational Safety and Health standard specifies that same issues regarding SCBA masks and vision corrective lenses.

Good luck and stay safe.

Ben
Due to the differences in the sizes of individual faces, it's only common sense that each member would have their own face piece. As far as corrective lenses, my F.D. supplies the face piece and the individual Firefighter must supply his/her own corrective lenses. I've got glasses made for the purpose of being worn with a protective mask/SCBA mask. I think they cost me about $60.00 back in 1994.
Mr. Waller,

from what i was told. a pair of perscription lenses can be placed in the face piece itself by use of a special frames that are mounted in the face piece. the frames are in themselves a little expensive.. that is aside from the cost of the lenses.. it allows the person to maintain a good seal..

will NFPA follow suit with OSHA for individuals who need corrective lenses and require that all those who wear corrective lenses have the frames mounted in the face piece??
some dept's dont have the finances to have everyone fitted for thier own mask.. so they in essence buy so-many of each size and place them on thier trucks... the rural dept's are the ones who are strained the most when it comes to having finances too equip each person with their own masks.. if they cant afford to buy masks for each person.. how will they be able to aford to buy the special frames for corrective lenses to be mounted in the face piece?? it still comes back to my question.. will NFPA require the frames be mounted in the faces pieces for those who need them??
On the newer Survivair masks (and I believe Scott also) there are two tabs located inside the mask in the upper corners; these tabs have holes in them and mount special frames. These are totally inside the mask.

When I still had a personally assigned mask I had a set of frames that were designed for the purpose. I took them to the local eyeglasses place and they made the lenses to fit. I then had excellent eyesight with the facepiece on.

The department also paid for the cost of the frames and lenses.

For those who do not have assigned masks, it takes but a minute to install these frames in a mask. Sounds easy, but then I never tried to do it when the clock was running.
fireman1059,

A couple of points here...

OSHA is actually a more important standard than the NFPA. NFPA standards are recommendations. Unless specifically adopted by state or local law, any NFPA standard is a guideline for "best practices".

OSHA regulations are legal requirements. Violate a NFPA standard, and you may lose your career or a civil lawsuit. Violate an OSHA standard and big fines could follow, and in some cases, prison time.

That said, NFPA 1500 has required that corrective lenses don't have any frames that penetrate between the mask seal and the skin, just like the OSHA 1910.134 standard. The practical effect of this standard is that you must either wear contact lenses or have facepiece-mounted eyeglasses frames if you wear corrective lenses with your SCBA mask.

We enforce both standards at my department, and several members have the facepiece-mounted glasses frames. My understanding is that the members provide the prescription lenses and the department provides the frames as part of the mask. We issue each individual a mask that no one else uses. That helps with the prescription lenses issue, as well as reducing the chances of cross-contamination, shared respiratory infections, and increasing the chances that the mask will be well-maintained, because no one but the firefighter it's issued to will use it.

Take care,
Ben
We have MSA Firehawk SCBA, and they have a similar eyeglass mounting system.
We went to a county wide air pack system.. so its really nice to havev the same air packs when we go on mutual aid in the county.. we are ussing MSA air packs with the heads-up display in the lower right side of the face piece..

im going to give the MSA rep. a call about having my own face piece with my lenses in it... u Gentlemen have given me alot of valuable information to use.. thank you for all your help...

John.
I agree that each FF should have their own mask, Although sometimes budgeting makes that very difficult, As Ted Bownas said, unfortunately you may have to stumble around alittle bit. Once inside your visibility usually drops signifinetly anyways. some of our newer members just don their mask at the door handing their glasses to the officer at the door with their inside accountability tag and they get them back when they exit the building.
Just have to play with it and see what works for you.
Be safe.
I don't think stumbling around a fire scene is a particularly safe thing to do...especially when you don't have to.

Another problem is that if you don't have clear vision and you're assigned to carry the thermal imager, you may miss important information (increasing temperature, heat bloom details, etc.) that could impair the safety of other firefighters and your own.

I think a few $$$ for your own prescription eyeglass lens and a few department $$$ for the in-mask frames is a smart investment. Even if your department doesn't have the $$$ to purchase individual masks for all members, you should be able to come up with the $$$ for a few extras for the eyeglass-wearing firefighters who really need them to have their own issued mask.
My apologizes Ted didn't mean it in a bad way. Was just using it as a example of how to get by while wearing a mask with out glasses. Was just coining a phrase so to speak.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service