As you know, next week is National Fire Prevention Week which means many of us are going to be back in the schools teaching about fire safety. I'd really appreciate any ideas you may have for enhancing my program. I'm focusing my attention on two groups, upper elementary (3rd-6th gr.) and primary grades (K-2). At this age, I'd really like to incorporate hands on activities to help the ideas stick with the kids. Thanks for any help you send my way!

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We do a poster competition (grade level winners) about the message to teach from NFPA every year. The best drawings (or ones with most effort) are awarded a trophy at the firehouse open house we have on Saturday. (parents and public are invited and a small presentation is made by the chief) We usually have juice and some type of cookies or cupcakes. The apparatus are all out and open for public viewing. (hey sometimes it is cool to see what they are paying for right?) This is another tool we use as posative P.R. plus the kids really think its a great event. (we draw around 100-200 folks on open house day) Fire prevention is taught in the schools by the town fire marshal and some assistants (firefighters) throughout fire prevention week.
Me personally for fire prevention week I brought in a smoke detector, had a firefighter in full PPE and SCBA, and spoke of fire safety, lighter and matches being used as tools and not toys, what a smoke detector going off means, fire drills etc. At the end of the session, I did a group question and answer period (grade k and 1) and asked them about some of the things I spoke about. (amazingly enough they got a perfect score) I had downloaded certificates and obtained the names of every child in the classes, and presented each child with a certificate. (also a fire prevention week pencil, and hydrant erasor) We then presented the classes as a whole (1 per classroom) a Firefighter Bear donated by Build-A-Bear. From the drawings we received in a book from the children they really loved what we offered. The true testament was the phone call we received from the Principal whom wasn't there with a thank you and schedule point for the next year (1 year in advance)
With that being said, if you make it fun, interesting, and Informative, you get much better results. I hope one or all of these ideas help.
I have done alot of fire prevention stuff..I actually enjoyed it, was alot of fun to interact with the kids and see the reactions and what they know. A week or two weeks before have each class do a color contest. Then have a couple firefighters go in and judge them. Give out first, second, and third prizes but then also like engine co913 said at the end give them all a certificate for participation in fire prevention week. The other thing is does hermiston have an edith house. If so see if you could use that for a day and run the kids through that. Let the kids look at the fire truck. I know from experience they love to squirt water through a hose..i mainly used a booster line. Take a extra set of turn outs and let them try them on. Specially the helmet they love that. Run through the stop drop and roll, fire drills in the home. Over all fire safety in and out of the home. Good luck and if ya need or want anything give a hoot..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service