Do you charge for your runs for those that are not members ? When you do what do you bill for and what are the rates . We have found some companies that will do the billing for you . Does anyone use this service and do you like it ?

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our EMS is seperate so I don't know what they bill but the fire department bills $250 no matter what we do or how long we are on scene but only if it is our call we don't bill for mutual aid calls. Some of that goes into our fuel/general gear fund and the rest goes into our new truck fund. We do all the billing in house and being from a smaller rural community we have good success collecting.
We send everything to a company that bills to the Pt's insurance company. If the insurance company refuses, the patient is never made to pay the bill. The pay is different depending on if it was a bls, als 1, or als2 transport, and I believe the driving distance is factored in as well.
my dept bills insurance or straight threw to the people--however they want to handle it, I have heard of billing companies never have used them.we bill like 250 for first fire truck and 100 for each additional truck for first hour than the rates drop a lil for each additional hour that we are on scene. First responder runs we dont bill for as of yet ---I learned in the state of Indiana you can bill up to 125 dollars for first responder runs.
We get money through taxes, but we also charge for ambulance transport. If the insurance company does'nt pay, I'm not sure if the patient gets a bill then. On the plus side, members and their families don't get a bill!
we use a company called Speclin for our EMS runs....eh,I think we are doing okay with it.They offer us a program to use for our EMS runs and they do the billing based on what is entered on the PCR(patient care reports)...we could be doing worse i suppose,just hard to navigate at first, they give you WAY too many options.once you customize it for your own Companies needs, its um..better..

Some of the mutual aide FD's do not charge fellow FF's for runs however, alot do and just "settle" with what the persons insurance pays and call it even.
We have just started billing for fire calls beginning jan 2008 and have had pretty good results so far. We use a billing service and file everything thru them. They get 15% of what we collect so if no one pays they work for free. If the insurance does not pay we prohibit the billing company from sending a bill to the indiviual. We generally bill for auto accidents/extrications, fires, and such. We do not bill (thru the billing company)for false alarms, although the township does have an ordinance for false alarms over 3 a year or medical calls(yet). As this was our first year billing we have had a good relationship with the billing company and so far have exceeded what we have expected to bring in already.
We also only bill for services rendered inside our township. But if we collect money from a call that we had a mutual aid company on scene we give a donation to our mutual aid also(varies depending on what we recieved). I will look around and see if i can find a copy of our billing schedule and will post it if i can find it.
My old co. has been billing for fire calls for 8 or 9 yrs its been good we use a co. And bill for everthing i don't no the rates
We bill to out-of-district users who are involved in vehicle accidents. If fires are out-of-district, then we have mutual aid and do not bill.
Fire department does the billing. Our attorney gets involved if people don't think that they have to pay the bill. We had a guy from Ohio say "come and get it". We DID.
Ambulance uses a billing service. They don't wan to be meanies.
It is a viable revenue stream for a department that struggles with funding. Our department takes in 10 - 15 grand a year on OOD runs.
TCSS.
Art
There are two separate threads going on here - billing for EMS runs, and billing for fire calls. For my purposes I will not be discussing EMS.

I know that in some areas of the US, a fire department will run a subscription fire service, i.e. "member" households pay an annual fee for fire protection to the fire department. I assume this is what you mean by "member"?

In my area, departments receive all funds through their respective towns via tax levy. It works out to be about $1 +/- per thousand dollars of assessed property valuation, and essentially the residents pre-pay for services as Ed pointed out.

When a department responds outside of its normal service area on a mutual aid basis, it's essentially a freebie to the homeowner or crash participants.
Art-
How did your F.D. collect from the guy in Ohio? Through legal action or did you just take a road trip out there and knock on his door? Just curious...stay safe!
I have a hunch that Art can be VERY persuasive if he has a mind to...
Our attorney sent him a letter and told him that he was going to file in his county small claims and then sue him for the costs associated with coming to Ohio, filing fees, phone calls, mileage, overnight stay at a hotel, fees for copies...
The guy paid and even "thanked us" for giving him the opportunity.
It works, but it's too bad that you have to resort to those tactics sometimes.
And NEVER treat your adjoining districts in that manner. In fact; you may want to use caution if they are out of district; yet you have a mutual aid agreement with their fire department. It might not be "wise" to charge them. Could create tension between departments.
TCSS.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service