You call yourself prepared? I don't think so... DOT ERG Engine Company Hazmat WMD Evacuation Map Template

Reality check... Many of you reading my past blog posts know that I love to share cool things that will be found useful in the field with the key goal of being more efficient. This post focuses on how to quickly determine evacuation areas, and being able to sound like you know what you are talking about over the radio. Time is critical when dealing with something that has off site consequences that negatively affect the health and well being of both the public and the rescuers...

With that said, what are the chances of you responding to an incident where you have to make the decision to either shelter in place or evacuate the public dependent upon the hazard(s) and incident type.

Has anything like this ever happened before, requiring a large evacuation area? 

You betcha... Remember this one?

But we are not talking about a nuclear accident... Being realistic, there are a number of different incident potentials such as MVA's involving hazardous materials, fixed facility releases, earthquakes that historically cause both ammonia and chlorine gas leaks or any number of causes that I am sure many of you can both share and relate with.

So, what's the cool way to make a quick visual determination as far as distances based on the recommendations made in the Emergency Response Guidebook?

Step 1: Get one of these...

Don't have one? Click here to access the weblink that not only gives you access to the latest DOT Emergency Guidebook, but... gives it to you in Spanish as well!

Free DOT ERG Downloads: http://phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/library/erg 

I have a fun analogy another firefighter and I joke about... We have had these great garage discussions where we talk about loading up all our toys and driving cross country, doing all sorts of cool things or... just doing something local because it's more realistic. Below I will share the cross country trip concept (ARC View GIS Technology) and my version of doing something local that will cost you less than $1.00 each to make and distribute to all your engine companies and emergency response vehicles. 

If you have the bucks, you have to know that technology is totally awesome when it comes to emergency management and predicting plume models, that also includes knowing street locations. Pretty cools whiz bang stuff is out there. 

It all starts with the basic concept of wind direction and downwind issues.

Step 2: Identify the hazard(s) involved, using placards for example...

Step 3: Look up the recommended evacuation distance(s) using the ERG.

Note: Using NH3 (ammonia) as an example, here's the information that you will see:

• INITIAL ISOLATION AND PROTECTIVE ACTION DISTANCES:
    • When UN 1005 (anhydrous, liquefied), UN 2073 (35% to 50%), or UN 3318 (> 50%) is involved in a tank, rail car, or tank truck fire:
      • Isolate it for 1 mi (1600 m) in all directions; also, consider initial evacuation for 1 mi (1600 m) in all directions.
    • When UN 2672 (10% to 35%) is involved in a tank, rail car, or tank truck is fire:
      • Isolate it for 0.5 mi (800 m) in all directions; also, consider initial evacuation for 0.5 mi (800 m) in all directions.
    • When UN 1005 (anhydrous, liquefied) or UN 3318 (> 50%) is involved in small spills (involving the release of approximately 52.83 gallons (200 liters) or less):
      • First isolate in all directions: 100 ft (30 m).
      • Then protect persons downwind during the day: 0.1 mi (0.1 km).
      • Then protect persons downwind during the night: 0.1 mi (0.1 km).
    • When UN 1005 (anhydrous, liquefied) or UN 3318 (> 50%) is involved in large spills (involving quantities greater than 52.83 gallons (200 liters)):
      • First isolate in all directions: 200 ft (60 m).
      • Then protect persons downwind during the day: 0.4 mi (0.6 km).
      • Then protect persons downwind during the night: 1.4 mi (2.2 km).
    • When UN 2073 (35% to 50%) is involved:
      • This agent is not included in the DOT ERG 2004 Table of Initial Isolation and Protective Action Distances.
      • In the DOT ERG 2004 orange-bordered section of the guidebook, there are public safety recommendations to immediately isolate an ammonia (Guide 125) spill or leak area for at least 330 ft (100 m) in all directions.
    • When UN 2672 (10% to 35%) is involved:
      • This agent is not included in the DOT ERG 2004 Table of Initial Isolation and Protective Action Distances.
      • In the DOT ERG 2004 orange-bordered section of the guidebook, there are public safety recommendations to immediately isolate an ammonia (Guide 154) spill or leak area for at least 150 ft (50 m) for liquids and 75 ft (25 m) for solids in all directions.

Note: I would also like to point out that no one involved in hazmat response should NOT have this reference source... It's the bible.

Now that you have your copy of the ERG, and you have looked up the recommended evacuation distances, you need to make a copy of the below Evacuation Template. I have attached the original file below to make it easy for you. When you print out the copy, use a xerox machine, and overhead projector clear film. 3M sells a more rigid and durable style. Regardless, you want to take this copy and place it into a three-ring binder protector. This allows you to keep it in pristine condition for multiple uses.

You might want to consider keeping the evacuation template close by to an industry standard map, carried by most folks and made by Thomas Brothers. The scale of the evacuation template is based on these maps.

Step 4: Place the Evacuation Template over the identified map page.

Note: Using a white board style marking pen, you can draw in the estimated wind plume model as seen in these examples which illustrate the estimated wind plume for a release of Red Fuming Nitric Acid (HN03) out of a vacuum truck that had a catastrophic release of the entire tank contents... boy... were we surprised...

Note: When thinking about it... you have to always be prepared to deal with any medical issues based on exposure. Consider downloading this document that touches on how to handle hazmat exposures.  http://www.emsa.ca.gov/pubs/pdf/emsa231.pdf

While I don't have an actual photo to share depicting the HN03 (Nitric Acid) release, I can share the below photo that depicts a very small spill / release of HN03. Note the red cloud appearance, hence the term, Red Fuming Nitric Acid.

Keep in mind that this product travels up and down our highways. In the event of a spill, this is how the military / NASA deal with PPE and HN03.

Kind of makes you think about your current levels of PPE... Now maybe you are willing to simply make and keep a copy of the Evacuation Template and call it a day.

TCSS,

CBz

Views: 2298

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm all about the pressurized Level A with an air helmet instead of a SCBA mask and the body-bag-with-a-view that typically used in the U.S.
This is great.A copy for every one of our apparatus is in order.
Nice Mike, thanks! One thing to mention for new folks is the plume is your immediate concern but the WHOLE circle is your goal. Check with your local weather service office for a "spot forecast" for the next 4, 8 and 12 hours.
This might give you an indication of where the plume will swirl to and which area will be the next effected.
Awesome Mike. This template is a definite "must have" on every response vehicle.
Nice input Dolph. I suppose I could have gone into CAMEO and such, but knowing that many first responders will not have computer access for plume modeling, I figured that I would keep things pretty basic. With that said, I'd like to mention something about downwind plumes.

1. Little or no wind = a wider plume that does not travel as far.

2. A lot of wind = a narrow plume that travels further downwind.

3. In situations where your are dealing with something that makes you have to even think about plumes, you must use the infamous rule of thumb. Hold your thumb up with your arm extended. If the incident can be hidden by your thumb, then chances are pretty good that you are far enough away... Use your thumbs.

TCSS,
CBz
Wouldn't it be cool to have access to this type of PPE technology for the fire service?
...or maps that use the same scale as your evacuation tool?

Just kidding - I know the overlay can be adjusted for the scale.
Another technique is the "Binoculars and Track Shoes" strategy
"I'll be right behind you, holding your binoculars, chief. If you don't need your binoculars, I'll be using my track shoes."
TOO &X?! CLOSE!!
But... Make sure your template scale is accurate for your map(s). Thanks for pointing this out Ben!

CBz
Mike,

Thanks for the template this is a GREAT IDEA. Do you have a suggestion on how to get the proper scale to work?

Matt
Sure, it's old school but... scan the page and scale you need and use a simple drawing program to create circles or a protractor, doing the circles by hand. Either way, all you are doing is matching up the scale in the map with a transparent overlay that takes into consideration the scale by using concentric circles every 1/2-inch, etc.

Circles, made to a scale, throw some lines in it for reference (e.g. Div. A, B, Y, Z...) and you have a ballpark idea of how far to evacuate, actually calling out streets because you now have the most important thing to help you do the job...

A mental picture...

CBz

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service