By starting this as a new thread, I'm not pointing the finger at any individual. Let's see this as a way to teach people.

My writing isn't perfect. I make general typos, I make spelling mistakes. Although I always read again before posting, these things happen. For now, forget about spelling mistakes (or have a dictionary next to the keyboard as I have), let's look at the misuse of words.

Many times I've seen the word 'due' used where 'do' is the correct word, this being obvious by the context in which it is used. I suppose this could happen because there are places where the pronunciation for both words is the same?

do - can be used like "that truck needs a wash, I will do it"
due - can be used as "the house caught fire due to an accident"

Can anyone think of other words that could do with clarification? Or have I just wasted a couple of minutes?

Views: 426

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A very common misuse I have noticed is of the word "to" and "too", I realize that my spelling and puntuation isn't always the best as well but I try to proofread everything before hitting "post". On a side note , and just to pick on some of friends from across the waters, tire is spelled with an "i" around here you guys throw me for a loop everytime I see it spelled with a "y". lol
aloud instead of allowed. Seen that a few times. TCSS
I have also seen the word "then" used when "than" should have been, and vice versa.
I hope you except this criticism, because I don't think we have a problem with the English language. Well, maybe accept for the examples you pointed out.
Again beating the same bush.. You guys want to talk fire or continue beating the english class lecture that goes on with you guys.... Ok Mister Tony I promise to put my hand up in class next time... For heavens freaken sakes guys lets talk fire...........................................................
I sentence every one of you to watch a Steven Siegal movie marathon.
Gadzooks.
Art
Ouch! Can i just run around the firehouse for an hour or two?
no know
wait
weight

Yea now I get a A in English can we go back to talking about fire stuff...
Anne,

Seems that this post bothers you. I can guess why. The topic is what it is. There are plenty of other threads that are fire related. I'm not stopping you from posting on one. TCSS
It is hard to "talk fire" when some posts are nearly indiscernible due (or do??? lol) to poor use of the language.
OK, I did sit here for a minute trying to figure out if you even knew what you were doing here! Ted's right ... very subtle! ;-)
I didn't read through yet to see if these were in here .... but ...
were/where/wear I think receive some misuse. That of course leads us to here/hear/hare ... and on and on.
Whoops! Forgot there/their/they're.

Along with improper spelling, tense and form, are the often complete lack of punctuation.

*Set to music* This is the sentence that ne-ver ends, it just goes on and on my friends ...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service