Our department requires that on call firefighters who are wearing shorts when responding to a medical must cover them with either Wildland Gear or Structural gear. Is this an uncommon requirement for the bloodborne pathogens? Or how many departments allow firefighters to wear shorts on alarms?

Views: 3375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would have to agree with you 100%. Safety is the key word in this equation.
I'll make it easy for everyone... Don't kneel in bodily fluids!!! :)
Better to be safe than sorry.
wow, you guys took that to far
No such thing when the overhaul thong is involved.
We're required to wear long pants on all calls...during the day (8-5), everyone's in station uniform except during workout. After 5, the shift guys can change into shorts and t-shirts if they want. If there's a call, they bunker-up.

For EMS, we're also required to wear barrier jackets. That's relatively new...less than a year now.

Back when I was a volly, we were "encouraged" to be in either uniform or bunker pants for all calls, but some guys did respond in jeans or other civilian clothes to medicals (one of our BCs was a priest and would generally show up in his clerical uniform, white collar and all...that sometimes made the patient nervous). Shorts were definitely not allowed though unless you had bunkers or brush pants over them.
Many of the replies point to the idea that exposed skin is a big no no and can be dangerous and as such shorts are an unsafe and bad idea. When we wear short sleaves we have exposed skin (wrist to elbow), but that is seen as acceptable compared to ankle to knee exposure. Should we be wearing facemasks on every call as well? I only have 2 and a half years on a very busy ambulance but I know I've worked between 2000 and 4000 ems calls. I've yet to see the need for pants on ems runs provided at mvc's and other runs w obvious abrasives, fire crews do the extricating. I'm currently trying to gather info to gain permission to wear shorts on ems runs in the San Antonio Fire Dept. If anyone has any info please let me know. I'm aware FDNY has done a study finding that shorts are perfectly safe to wear, but can't find that report.
not many ems or fire stations dont let you wear shorts because of the obsortion of stuff

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service