Unlicensed Driver Charged In Death Of South Carolina Firefighter

COLUMBIA, S.C. - South Carolina troopers say a woman is charged with driving too fast for condition and not having a valid state driver's license in a crash that killed a Columbia firefighter on Interstate 20.

Highway Patrol Sgt. Kelly Hughes told multiple media outlets that Neida Ortega only had a driver's license from Mexico when her van hit another car that had slowed Saturday because of a brush fire in the highway's median.

The car skidded between two fire trucks and hit two firefighters trying to put out a brush fire.

Authorities say 23-year-old Chance Zobel was killed, while a second firefighter is recovering in the hospital.

Hughes says Ortega doesn't speak English, and it was not immediately clear if she had an attorney.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Us firefighers are put in enough danger, we dont need dumb drivers putting us in more danger. My heart always sinks when I hear that a fellow firefighter loses thier life. She should definitey suffer the consequences for her poor choices.
I think she should not go back to mexico, i think she needs to stay here in our jails forever untill the day she goes to h***. there are 16 americans that die everyday because of mexicans. thats over 9000 a year. something really needs to be done to mexicans that dont belong here. To the family of this firefighter. Im so so so sorry to hear about ur lost, May god be with u in this much needed time. I hope there is one day a way u will be able to cope with this. good luck if that helps at all. god be with them in this time of need for they have lost a part of there heart.
She should be charged with vehicular manslaughter!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service