just wondering how everyone feels about turning out vehicles at mva's, chiefs in our department are dragging there feet and very rarely do this all important operation!

Views: 71

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry Chris, I'm not sure I follow what you mean. Are you talking about responding to accidents, or what?
hey joe, i was talking about using fire apparatus to block the road to protect the responders
Oh, gotcha. Yes, we try to block roads whenever possible by using vehicles, fire police or law enforcement. Fortunately we do not have four lane highways with limited access; they are all 2 lane with 55 mph speed limit.
hi capt, we do stretch a line at the mva's, but usually if the officer doesn't have rescue training or has his head up his ass and gets tunnel vision,it is sometimes an after thought, that is why i became lieutenant of the truck company, cause you have to affect change from the inside(enough people at our station gripe and complain,and that does nothing)
It depends on the situation. Any extrication or smell of gas around the vehicle and we pull a 1 3/4 preconnect with a vindicator nozzle. On roll-overs and vehicles off road we frequently stand by until the tow truck ops are finished doing their thing.

We confer with the law enforcement officer too to see if he/she wishes us to stay or get gone.
I think as a equipment operator your first duty is to protect your crew and scene with proper truck placement even if the Chiefs say or don't say otherwise! Everyone goes home.....
Scene safety being # 1 we use the trucks to block traffic. The vests are a great add to our gear but they don't help the drivers who don't pay attention or better yet are color blind to add to the rubber neck problem. So I would rather have them hit a truck than one of my guys.
we respond with an engine rescue and a qrs unit. we do block at least one full lane of traffic. our chief is very strict with safety measures and that is certainly a safety measure when your personel is not fully protected on the highway.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service