Hello All,

My Department is currently starting a Pyhsical Fitness program at my Department and I was wondering what the Legalities were and what type of programs are out there?? PLEASE let me know what you think??

Thanks,
Bill

Views: 139

Replies to This Discussion

Not so much the answer to your question, But lets be realistic any Volunteer, combination, or career department would be stupid NOT to encourage annual physicals and physical fitness/nutional help for its members ... Likewise any member of any fire service would be pretty stupid to not realize the needs of they're bodies to be in shape and that being said it shouldn't be that difficult to have a program in tune with the doctor giving the annual physical to direct the particular member what they need and what direction they need to go.. ie: your 290 lbs and 5'4" and 27 years old getting you heading in the right direction to exercise and weight loss and healthier eating habits will effect you liong term, IF your the same dimensions and 54, maybe he can find you a pine box maker..... IN most states, there are standards thatone has to meet to be considered a firefighter...If your so out of shape that you cannot function then you shouldn't be doing the job...

even older fire police types ( In the vollies) should have some minimal idea of what fitness &Nutrician can do for them...

I'd hate to be the department chief officer, sitting on the stand saying "we were too concerned with a lawsuit/injury claim to setup a program for the members' benefit"

Even having a "personal trainer" who is qualified to stop in on a drill night access the members, and discuss , suggest simple stretches and minor things we can do is a good start... YOU Can offer help, and eventually work towards 100% involvement at individual levels... for career departments it may be a bit more complex, depending on state laws, but lets face it if you cant pass your physical, and subsiquent follow up physicals no one is gonna carry you anymore ..
Those days are gone and with the economy, only going to get tighter...
Aloha Bill,
Your request sparked questions.Is your department volunteer?I work for a DOD contracted full time paid fire department here on Kauai.Your department should have yearly through physicals.Once there is a baseline from these physicals, there should be a systematic, gradual procedure for your members to get back in shape without worrying them or scaring them.Strengh training, timed walking( 45 minutes)light areobics from a certified areobics instructor etc.is a good way for the members to improve.Forcing members into shape by way of drills could lead these at risk members into serious medical conditions that the department would be liable for,I have lots of ideas on this .you can e-mail me, at rowman12@yahoo.com.
Mahalo,
Lt. Rob Marchino
PMRF FD
Kauai
We have a Combination Department- 9 Fulltime and about 25Reserves ie volunteers. We used to have what they called a workout room, very primitave equipment. All of the items in the room was given away or sold to make room for other things. I have been on the Department for 13years and I can not recall the department ever having any standards, sogs, sops or eccentives to be in shape. Last year the department was going to take extreme measures to ensure health but have since went back to doing nothing to assist firefighters in a healthier lifestyle.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service