I feel as though volunteer departments should have weekly pt. so that every member would be in top physical condition to evaluate health issues such as heart attacks wich is one of the main killers among firefighters.

Views: 60

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with some sort of fitness training for health reasons and to evaluate the physical condition of each member before the pager goes off. Whether it's organized training or on your own, at least test semi-annually so the officers know who is ready.. I've been the Army for 36 years and I'm in better shape because of it. I also believe police and EMS workers should at least be evaluated regularly. I don't want one of my brothers or sisters drop at a scene.
all volunteer fire departments( at least in our area) are supposed to have a gym. somewhere the firefighters can work out. and if they dont have one, are supposed to have a membership to a gym so the firefighters can stay in shape. whether or not they go by it or not is a different story. i agree very strongly on weekly pt. i think it would be a good idea.... but you also have the members who wont do it. or the members who cant do it. theres mixed feelings on the pt deal. i also agree with being evaluated. thats why they need physicals every year. to see if wee can handle it. to see if we are able to do the work anymore.
Maybe it should be like a drill night with one of the officers leading the members in exercises like a military drill instructor. Jumpin Jacks, Toe Touches, Windmills, Sit Ups, Pushups. My fire station has exercise and weight lifting equipment but it sits in the middle of apparatus room between the apparatus. It really shouldn't be where it is but there is no where else for it. The station really needs another addition to move the apparatus and convert old areas into something else.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service