What do you think of Scouts now compared to earlier Scouting? I do know that it's a lot easier now to make Eagle in a shorter amount of time compared to my time. What do you guys think? Have you ever looked at older scouting handbooks and the requirements that were in them.

Views: 48

Replies to This Discussion

Well since someone here said I was still wet behind the ears I'll consider myself a younger scout, although I remember it being rough. My dad was an eagle scout and I still have his old books, although I haven't looked at them in a while I will now. My brother is in scouts now and I will say he has it made, they never do anything outside. I think a lot of it depends on the scout master, his is determined to pump out a record number of eagles, as where mine was determined to turn out "men" (he was a retired army sergeant). Heck I remember going to scout camp and staying in old army surplus canvas tents, the last time he went they had cabins with AC. Good topic though brother, stay safe.
LOL, well I hear ya on the rough part. Whenever possible we did outdoor activities, even in the winter! As a matter of fact, just a couple of years ago when I was a assistant scoutmaster, we camped out in the middle of winter and it was -10F out that night. I mean when I was in , we did anything and everything. Learned a lot of skills. I also had a great scoutmaster who was a war vet from WWII. He was up in age when I was young, but he could out hike a lot of the guys. Fond memories!! He also would not allow us to pass or advance on something unless we knew it by heart.
We were lucky, our Scout Master took use out as much as possible. We did a lot of camping, hiking, visiting historical landmarks. Thanks to him he helped me and influenced me to where I am today. I only noticed that scouting seems to be what the Leaders make it. I really have not looked at the new books but I remember how tough it was to earn mine. I have respect for every one who has the Eagle Rank because I know they put the heart and soul into it.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service