Just curious. We had one a couple of yrs. ago where one was stopped and the crew of the second one fell asleep and rear ended the first one at about 25-30 mph. Didn't do much damage. Derailed 6 cars and 2 locomotives. Had a very small diesel fuel leak out of one of the locos. But we were only there for about 45 mins. to an hour before the railroad cleared us from the scene. We ended up rolling our rescue and an engine. The city to the north of us will usually dispatch one engine and if they need more they will call for what they need.

Views: 585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A year a go the standard for all calls in the entire county:
Engine, Ladder in urban areas and tanker in non-urban areas, and hose-tender.

Now its up to the different fire departments to make up a plan - but mostly its the same, without the hose-tender, and maybe a quick response unit.

So nothing special for trains..

We do have one special area though.
We have a 7 kilometers (4,5 miles) railway-tunnel, where the callout is:
- 1 Federal Emergency Management department with: 2x Engine, 1x hosetender with 4 miles of hoses, Mass casualty unit, HAZMAT unit if anything but passenger-train, Rescue unit with train-extrication kit.
- National Train Management (who owns the railways) with 2xrescueunit and rescue crane, all with train-wheels.
- Minimum 10 ambulances
- 5 firedepartments with 5 engines, 3 tankers, 5 rescueunits
^^ That's the very minimum for any callout, including automatic firealarms.

So a total of minimum:
10 ambulances
7 engines
3 tankers
9 rescueunits
Turn the radio and phone off then hide in the bedroom until it was over. We have several train lines and have never had a problem. While we don't have a laid out plan it would depend on the department and OIC to call for aid, here is what I would assume. Our mini-pumper/rescue rig and our front line pumper. I would call our county rescue squad for a heavy rescue and possible second rescue truck. Then the next closest department depending on what kind of train and if there was a fire would bring a pumper, tanker or rescue. I almost forgot our EMA director for the cameras.
Lt. I gotta agree about hiding. I was already in bed and thought I was dreaming. I have never been more scared in my life. You see these bad videos on tv and in training and that's all I could picture on the way there. But as I left my house, I looked in that direction and saw no orange glow and felt a little relief. We only have the one line through our territory but there for a while they were having derailments left and right. Mainly north of us and mainly due to poor tracks.
This would probably involve first scratching our heads at the same time then asking the dispatcher who they really meant to dispatch since we don't have any railroad tracks.
Nothing - we don't have any rail lines in our 1st due.
Call FEMA
There's a lot of variables to this-

- time of day

- type of train (freight vs. passeneger

- freight being carried

- location (urban vs. rural)
We dont really see train wrecks but some trucks that would roll would be our heavy rescue a engine and our ems truck.
If we have one(heaven forbid) we would roll an Engine company and Tanker, and call for mutal aide depending on the situation. The worst part, I live right next to the RR tracks. I hope to not be the first one on scene.=)
First figure out how we went back to logging days when we did have Railroads in the area. Which the last was removed in 1932. Then ask dispatch where this call really is.
Our standard response IS a train wreck....

A seminar I attended recentlly offered an 8 hr. Railroad Emergencies class that I thought looked like it would be good, below is it's description

"A first responder training class provided by CSX Transportation. As local firefighters, police or emergency management personnel are usually the first at the scene of a chemical incident, their knowledge and skill during the early stages can make the difference in how chemical incidents are handled. The Massachusetts Call Volunteer Safety Train Cars are designed to improve both knowledge and skill through practical, hands-on training with equipment and fittings that the responders are likely to find at the scene. This training helps to protect lives, personal property and the environment. The rail cars consist of boxcar-classroom and several tank cars with external fittings which emergency responders may encounter. In addition, air and water are used to simulate leaks and release of hazardous material during the training exercises."
We have the busy North south CSX mainline between Baltimore and Philadelphia which is the border for our district 1/2 mile from the station. The only runs we ever had on the tracks have been trash calls when they heat the switches in the winter. We had one trash fire call that turned out to be a call on the tracks fully involved with a body inside the trunk.

But a train wreck would be a single company response until further information is found. One good thing is that our company houses the state haz mat unit.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2020   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service