I am tired of seeing the "self-anointed accolades". We are giving people joining the fire service a lofty target to hit.

We are giving people in our communities a reason to resent us when WE refer to the honorable and courageous things that we do. In other words, they don't like US patting ourselves on the back.

People joining want to rise to hero status; some faster than others.

I read the Sunday paper and it sickened me when I came across this AP story from the New York Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Caleb+Lacey

Caleb Lacey, 19, a Long Island volunteer firefighter doused an apartment staircase with gasoline and set the building ablaze-killing four-in a "twisted attempt to become a hero", prosecutors charged Saturday.

This has given the term "hero" and "volunteer firefighter" connotations that any right thinking person would not want to be associated with.

Stop selling the idea that we are "heroes" and what we do is "heroic".

We do what we do to HELP others. Period.

Anyone who believes that they will make a heroic effort someday; GET OUT NOW.

There are other "Caleb Laceys" in our fire service just waiting for their chance.

You should know them. You voted them onto your fire departments.

And it has given the news media just another reason to splash FIREFIGHTER CHARGED WITH...as their headline and given the evening news their lead in for the top story of the day.

God; please make it stop.

TCSS.
Art

Views: 2862

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome!
Anyone know a Paramedic I believe in or near Pennsylvania who lost his job on Monday, and his girlfriend broke up with him on Sunday before monday.

37 yo firemen/paramedic.

Possibly depressed? Met someone meeting that in yahoo chat, depression support group and wondering. how to help him?

I suspect much but sadly had few details, other than his issues at this time.

Mike
Dying is easy, keeping people alive is a "bitch" but I prefer keeping them alive!
The city government of New Orleans and the state government of Louisiana share in the loss of public trust following Katrina, but NOFD and NOEMS weren't part of those particular problems.
I here what you are saying and understand... Thank you for your input.
A firefighter is not a hero. Firefighting isn't heroic, it's just another everyday job, only this job our lives, and someone else's life and property are at stake. We fight what others fear it's as simple as that. I didn't join the department just so someone can call me a hero or being told that what I do is heroic. I became a firefighter to save lives and property.
I totally agree with you. I don't see myself as a hero, actually I find it humorous when people say that. The heros, in my eyes are Joseph Agnello, Brian Ahearn, Eric Allen, Richard Allen, Cpt. James Amato, Calixto Anaya Jr., along with the rest of the 343 that gave it all on 9/11 as well as any other brothers that have fallen just trying to help others. I will never hesitate at the door, just as these fine gentalmen didn't. Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.
really interesting, but i think, this can not be associated with the attiude of heroism, which goes around.
this is just sick and too extreme.
a lot of people are expressing their way of "heroism" in different ways. in my opinion you have to distinguish here.
greets from germany
Two fallen brothers in Houston.
Captain Richard Phillips is rescued.
Navy Seals take out three bad guys.
W. Virginia firefighter admits to setting fire that severely injured another firefighter.
Heroes and a zero.
Couldnt say it better Chief
I do believe in heroes, I think many of us have been involved in "heroic things." What scares me is the guy or gal who thinks they are a "hero." Anyone who walks around thinking that they are the heroic one are a danger to the rest of us. There is nothing worse than being in a bad situation with a self proclaimed hero and everything they do just makes the situation worse. Just my opinion. Have a safe and happy week my friends!
Ahhh well said Cody! I think it is the "HERO" mentality that we are really speaking of here!
98% OF THE HEROES I KNEW ARE BURED

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service