Recently, my business partner and I instructed a fire skills session at a CFA fire training ground for an underground mine rescue company.

During the pre-training safety briefing, the manager of the training ground said that under no circumstances were members to drag or operate a hose over their shoulder (regardless of how many operators are on the hose), as depicted below.

He cited two main issues:

1) Manual handling risks

2) Balance (loss of)

Thoughts from anyone else?

Is this still an accepted and taught practice in your department?

Do you agree or disagree?

Views: 1634

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is really no time when I could see it used in a structure fire...

Most car fires have an over the shoulder attack at some point for access to hard to get areas.

Very seldom do you see a dumpster fire fought without using the method as well.
Years ago in the Navy I was taught this method to keep from deflating the bladder on your oxygen breathing apparatus (OBA). Over the years, as ships transitioned to the SCBA for firefighting, the more traditional under the arm method has been taught, although over the shoulder is still and accepted practice I believe. I have used the over the shoulder method during mop up and on wildland fires albeit with lower nozzle pressures and would not reccomend it on a fog nozzle, unless there was as Ben said good backup.

Shawn

It is not appropriate for a firefighter to carry out intervention work by carrying a hose on his shoulder. From where? This application was used by sailors in internal response to ship fires. Over-the-shoulder or overhead carrying was used to carry, control and store the fire hose in small and small entrance areas on ships. This practice is not safe for firefighters to carry hose. It tires the hose carrier more, makes control difficult and causes the firefighter to lose balance. It is very dangerous to use this application, especially in areas where pressure increases and in dangerous areas (high, falling, slipping, etc.).

This technique can be used limitedly if you have a fire area downstairs and you use low pressure and you have additional friends. Otherwise, this intervention should not be allowed. It should be carefully considered in terms of security and risk.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service