WSAZ Update, 9pm -- The State Fire Marshal's Office says Lt. Johnnie Hammons, 49, and Timothy Nicholas, 26, were the firefighters killed. Hammons was ann 11-year veteran, while Nicholas served for about a year. Investigators believe they might have died after the roof of the trailer collapsed. Read More at WSAZ.com >>

CRAIGSVILLE, W.Va. (AP) -- Two volunteer firefighters have died while fighting a fire in Nicholas County.

Craigsville Beaver Cottle Volunteer Fire Department Chief Tim Blake said in a statement Friday the two were killed after the department responded to a structure fire about 10 p.m. Thursday.

The fire occurred in the Cottle area.

The statement did not say how the fire is believed to have started, or how the two firefighters were fatally injured.

Their names were not released Friday morning.

The fire and the deaths are being investigated by the state Fire Marshal's office.

A call to the Fire Marshal's office was not immediately returned Friday.

FFN Update: A video of the 9 am press conference Friday by Tim Blake, Chief of the Craigsville-Beaver Volunteer Fire Department is posted online here or watch below.

Related Links:

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Views: 995

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My condolences to the families and Dept. members of these two fallen firefighters. What a waste!

A trailer fire heavily involved in flames upon arrival as the article stated. We have plenty of them in the northeast region - they are referred to by some; as a flashover simulator with curtains. When are we finally going to wake up and realize NO FIRE, is worth taking uncessary risks with the lives of our firefighters! Even if they had put out the fire (unharmed) how much inside was WORTH saving, after the fire (& subsequent water damage) had consumed so much of the contents ?
Let's wait until all the facts are out before jumping to conclusions about circumstances based on initial article ... please keep posts mostly around condolences. There's no information about victims inside, etc. released at this time. Thanks.
My thoughts & prayers go out to the family & members of these firefighters
My prayers and sympathies to the families and fire station of these lost firefighters. Kathy, Ontario Canada
My prayer's and sympathies go out to the two family's that lot there love ones.God bless
Our Hearts go out to the families of these fallen firefighters. May their families now they are in our hearts and prayers.
my thoughts and prayer are with their family friends and fire department
Our prayers and thoughts are with their families and members of their Department
we have lost a Firefighter in the line of duty,really makes things hard to continue operation,Some things just don't go as they should,Were all brothers,and sisters.No matter how far away,The circumstances don't matter,how or why,there still gone.They'll always be loved and missed...Thoughts and prayers are with you... Union City volunteer fire department
It is always a sadd day when we hear that a brother has died in the line of duty. Our hearts, and preys go out to
them, their families, and friends. God bless for their service,and heroism, and making the ultimate sacrifice.
My prayers goe's out to your department and the family's of your lost brother's...
We at the Eleanor VFD in Putnam County WV offer our condolences and prayers to the family, friends and "brothers" of those lost...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service