I am from a smaller volunteer department. We are accually very dedicated to meet the requirments that are set forth by the state for training requirments. We have practiced this for years. Our department heads, such as myself, are always looking for way to make training more interesting and still ensure that everyone is still learning what is taught. I have been very successful with the training in the past. But this year, I want to try something new for our department. As in the past we tend to train the department at more of an individual effort. We all take part in what ever the training topic is and do it. But I want to extend that effort a little further this year. I want to emphysize more on teamwork within the station and training. So every training that we do will be done within teams. But, I am at a stand still, I have a couple of idea floating around my head, but I need more. Just seeing if anyone has any great ideas for me that would work as and educational way to train the department but makes everyone work together as a team or in teams. I would appriciate the help.. Thanks

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just like the real thing. You mention the word training and no one shows be involved. Apperantly, every one must must be trained to the highest standard above everyone else, so this discussion is not needed.
If you have the facilities mock scenerios are always great because it is real time and they have to work as a team to accomplish the goal, just like on a fireground. The only other thing I might suggest is to tell your membership that they are planning the next training and that everyone must be involved in some way. this does a couple of things. It makes them understand just what is involved in planning a training and the importance of training; also it makes them work as a team twice, once for planning the training and again during the training. I don't know if these ideas are practical for your department or not.

good luck with everything

TCSS
For the individual training that I have done in the past. I created "training sheets" that named the training topic for that night, and included all the points that everyone needs to learn. From checking PPE prior to donning for wear and tear, to what the training will cover, to what is expected of them in the training. After the training, they sign the sheet and I grade them on a pass/fail method. It is not set up to make them fail, but to encourage participation. It simple you have to participate in order to receive a passing grade. If you do not take part in the training, then you do not get credit. They then go into the departments files for documentation shall the state ever require documents of the station of training. I am going to use the same method in all trainings from this point on. But instead of one person per sheet, it will be the team signing it and the team getting a pass/fail grade. Some ideas that I have is setting up a scenario like a full time department. Put members into engine crew, truck companies, SAR teams, etc. Then we will run out the scenario, and the other teams who are not apart of their portion of the training will critic the crew who is working. Another is setting up a trivia game, where teams work together to beat the other teams in a game of knowledge. But that is only a couple of trainings. We train twice a month, and I am looking for other types of ideas that other may have or have done in the past that worked for them. I am sure that I will get buy, but just trying to expand my aresonal of ideas. All is welcome.
I can see that you are not getting the type of feedback you are looking for here Shaun. Once cool idea is to get your self some "clue spray" which only shows up under a black light. You can easily put together a class on the spread of disease or contamination, and the importance of proper decontamination.

Clue Spray

This detection powder is simply sprayed on any surface leaving an invisible film which, when touched is immediately transferred to the hand, clothing, etc. It is excellent for large and small objects. Will remain on hands up to five days in spite of repeated washings. The spray is highly fluorescent when exposed to UV illumination, but is invisible to the naked eye.

This is accomplished with a pretreated (sprayed) piece of paper or an object that you pass around the classroom as you go through the didactic component of the training. Once the paper or object has made it's way around the classroom, give folks a chance to do what people do... scratch and touch different parts of their body.

This concept can be embarrassing however... show me a guy who doesn't scratch his crotch and I'll show you a guy who isn't a guy... I mention this because not only do you see this but you see where people have touched their face, arms, everywhere. So with this said, be selective where you point the black light, focusing on the persons hands only. This will save you and your students a lot of embarrassment.

The concept of how easily one can become contaminated or 'dosed' becomes more of a reality when you make an effort as an instructor to 'touch' all the senses, or at least as many as you can.

Hope this helps with one of your drills Chief.

TCSS, CBz
Thanks, we touch base a couple of times on hazardous materials, but this is the sort of ideas that I am looking for. Some things are so blind to some and is so obvious to others. I never would have came up with this idea. This is how we all can help each other reach the ultimate goal of being prepared for a incident as close as we can. Sharing training ideas is not that difficult and some may benifit off of the simplest ideas or the most far fetched ones. In my mind there is no bad training, other than the training you do not do.. Thanks CBz

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service