I am wondering what you all thought about a few things.

1) Should Felons be allowed to be Firefighters?
2) Does your fire department hire felons?
3) If you are a firefighter and you are convicted of a felony, should you be fired?

The reason why I bring this up is because I got an email recently about Richmond (VA) Fire Department hiring.

Apparently, they have dropped the requirements for employment:

* Have no felony convictions for any offense within 60 months preceding the date of application;

I got the information here

I cannot speak for the department if this was an actual drop in requirement or if it has always been this way.

I thought that if you were a felon, you were always a felon. The only way to get a felony off your record is to have the Courts expunge it from your record.

What do you all think?

Views: 9491

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Well I cant say ya or nay, but can say that should depend on the conviction. I do know that they use prison imates to work fire lines, I do not know all the rules as far as who is allowed and who isent. I do know one of our firefighters is in charge of a prison work crew so will ask him next time I see him, has me wonderen. I feel that many may be offended by inmates worken fires, but think about the money you save. They work off your tax dollars and do somethen better then tv and basket ball. As far as hiring I feel as said should depend on what they did as well as left up the who is in charge and the firefighters they will be working with. There are people out there that did teenage stupid stuff and have learned there lesson and just need a second chance. Me well 18 and guilty fellony, plead down to mistimenor, and lost my chance to graduate high school. So now I am finnaly enrolled to get my GED and am taken CNA classes and worken to get my EMT cert as well. So if wasent for people given me a second chance wouldent be here talken to ya all.
James...Many times records on Juvies are sealed by the courts...if they stay out of trouble then they are expunged...so this usually isn't an issue....But good question.....Keep thinking....stay safe.......Keep the Faith...........Paul
depends on the situation i would imagine. but thats why most applications have the "do you have a felony if so explain section" but as a student trying to get my certificates and get on at a fire department i understand that firefighters are trusted more then most. most citizens trust a firefighter more then everybody except for their family and friends. so a fire department has to make sure that the firefighters they employee will not take from the homes they are in or otherwise make the department look bad. and if the firefighter does take from the citizens then it not only makes the department look bad but it makes every firefighter look bad. so i would say in my opinion that if they do hire a felon then they need to be real cautious.
Yes, they use prison work crews in some areas to fight fires....they also have armed officers with them....
I agree with you 100%. Felons should not be allowed on the fire departments or any other service for that matter.
actually I would ask you why you find the need to own an illegal firearm....I have many firearms...all are legal..and yes, I do have a pistol permit to carry concealed...I still say convicted of a felony...bye....we all have to pay to play.....no-one is above the law...you don't like the law...work to get it changes.....
I thought I would add to this discussion. I was doing a web search to see if a convicted felon could get a security clearance and found this article.

This hits close to home, since I have a 17 year old felony. I stole something while in college. Since the offense (was put on probation, paid a fine and restitution) I finished my degree and went off into my profession. Everything was hunky dory until 2009. I was employed as a civilian in a law enforcement agency. I got FIRED because of the felony. Everyone who had a need to know there knew about the 17 year old mistake I made, and was fine with it. It was the FBI and the NC State Bureau of Investigations came up with a discriminating policy in Dec 2008 called CJIS Security Policy. My boss tried to get an exception but would not even listen to it. There is this paradigm that seems to grow every year, "Once you commit a crime, you need to live under a rock for the rest of your life".

Should a felon be allowed to put out a fire? H@LL YES! Unless of course they did a violent crime, or did something that was related to the job. And I mean related by example of 'burning down homes' or stealing fire trucks for use of profit.

What has happened since 9/11 has made it very hard for someone with a criminal record to achieve the American Dream. Opportunities in the 1990's are gone thanks to the CJIS Security Policy.

In North Carolina, it is a felony to steal a chicken, bail of hay, or dog. But it is a misdemeanor to steal a cat, or drive drunk and risk lives.

I made this website for folks like me that struggle to not be punished for life for something they did when they were young.
www.2ndChanceNC.com
Quote: What has happened since 9/11 has made it very hard for someone with a criminal record to achieve the American Dream. Opportunities in the 1990's are gone thanks to the CJIS Security Policy.

In North Carolina, it is a felony to steal a chicken, bail of hay, or dog. But it is a misdemeanor to steal a cat, or drive drunk and risk lives.

Maybe that will serve as a deterrent to these actions!

That being said, I will check out your web site. I always enjoy reading other points of view such as yours.
Illinois is in the process of making it more difficult to serve in positions of public safety by felons. I think that the reason is that there has been too much confusion or latitude over what "degree" of offense constitutes a disqualifier for public safety employment. The new law will make it very clear and according to sources, it could lead to termination of felons currently employed in public safety.
My FFNetcast guest will be talking about it on June 24th.
i dont know wher you work but i have worked with concrews on big fire and i would hire any one of them before going for a newbe any day their is also an area back east that has a firedeparment run of nothing but inmates they run medical calls and mva and all fires i hope you dont crash their
I ask you this: "I'm a felon, and I'm interested in becoming a firefighter." Can I serve my community? I was a Marine for 7 years before deciding to come home and make a life for myself. In the Marines I learned many things. Basic and advanced first aid, including how to treat battle wounds, and how to respond to everything from a kitten's belly ache, to a full blown catastrophe.

My specific charge was hit and run. I got into an accident of my own doing. Reckless driving, (I used to own an '05 GTO), and I hurt someone. After the accident I made sure ol'boy was ok. Driver of the vechical I hit sustained minor bruises and had a broken rib. I made sure that 911 was called, and rescue was on the way. Then I left the scene to my cousin's house which was about a mile away, before I called the police, and told them what happened. They informed me to report to the nearest police station which was about 15 min away. I did so, and was charged with "hit and run/with an injury" and convicted, making me a felon.

Honestly I was more scared of what the Marine Corps would do to me than the civilian courts, so I ran my ass off, after I made sure every one was ok after the accident. Yes it was my own stupidity in the first place for the accident happening at all, but I couldn't have done more for the victims after the fact than I did. Now I have to live not only what I did, but with a felony conviction to boot.

I live in a small community, and now that I'm out of the Military, I want to serve that community. Volunteering for the local fire department sounds like where I belong. But I'm worried they will reject me because of my past conviction alone, not even a shot at a foot in the door.
My response still remains the same.....NO...!!!

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service