i was just wondering if you do any sort of fire safety program for preschool / elementary students and if yes what do you cover? do you do these only during fire prevention week, or year round? also what age level do you usually teach?

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol ok ill go first!
my department really doesn't do any type of program. i think one would be helpful though bc my county has 5 elementary schools and multiple preschool / day care facilities.
During fire prevention week we go to our elementary school and talk to grades K-5. We taylor the discussion to the age level of the class, getting more indepth and dramatic with the older kids than with the younger ones. The main point we stress is to never play with fire. We also cover:
*stop drop & roll
*escape plan
*meeting place
*good air/bad air & crawling
*how to feel door for heat
*once out never go back in
*911 - when & how to call
*good fire vs bad fire
*never be afraid of a firefighter or hide from them

One of our firefighter lost his house in a fire when he was in 5th grade. He will talk to the 4th & 5th graders and tell them what he experienced. It is a great eye opener for them.

We also bring our fire safety house to the school and will take 1st-5th out and through the smoke-house. Kindergarteners we do all inside.

Throughout the year we get asked to go to different preschools and churches to give programs too.

the main thing is keep it simple. Don't overload them with too much information at once . . . then they won't remember anything. We start out with one point that we stress for the K & 1st grade. Then for 2nd we add another point or two and so on so that by the time we are at the 5th grade we review the whole kit & kaboodle.

Stay safe out there!
John

This is my brother at my nephews school. he's 4 so it's pre-school
thank you for the input!! im thining if i show my advisers what other departments are doing maybe they will decide to do something similar!!
When we can, during the schools fire drill after everyone is outside we will come in with our lights and sirens on (going EXTREMELY slow) in full gear like there was an actual fire. After we get there we do a quick fire safety spill usuall PR stuff and so on.
Jess? I was going to give a nice detailed spiel about the things we do, but Capt106 has beaten me to it. We cover virtually all that they do, in a similar manner, very short and sweet for the kinder kids, up to the lot for the polder ones. The Authority prefers that we address the 7 and 8 yo kids, but we will do whatever the school needs. It would be nice if we could see all the kids once a year for their primary school years, but it's simply too great a workload for vols. In mine and many other areas at least!

Talking to the kids about how to make an emergency call is the difficult one. What we don't want to do is give them ideas about how exciting it would be to have half a dozen fire trucks roll up outside their house... So I tell them that it can carry a penalty of five years for making false calls. I'm not lying, it does, but I don't tell them that it would only be an real bad serial offender that would get anything like that! One of our difficulties is to get them to dial the correct number. Just too many yank TV shows tell them '911' when here it's '000'. And too many of our adults say it as 'oh oh oh' (as for the letter 'o') and as that translates to '666' on a number pad it's not much use! (Don't tell us that we should be using '911' as you in North America do, as we've been using '000' for about 40 years.)
We use to have pre-school and grade school kids come to our station and put on a program for them every year but the school stopped doing it. we even offered to come to their school and do the program but the school does not want it done anymore.
Stupid, short sighted school.
Alot of schools are like that, the school in our district wont let us do more than we do. In the past we would spend most of the day doing the usual spill and handing out smoke detectors. Now all they care about is test scores.
During fire prevention week we go to the local elementary school and put on a program for grades K-6. We take a fire truck and have a firefighter dressed in full turnouts. We go to each classroom and talk about fire safty, stop, drop, and roll, etc. We take them outside and let them see the truck, show them different equipment on it, let them walk around it and trun on the lights etc. We also purchase and hand out coloring book, stickers, junior fire fighter badges, pencils etc.

During fire prevention week, we go talk to grades K-5 about all sorts of fire safety topics, hand out coloring/activity books, stickers, pencils, badges, and fire hats to kids. We also let them look at the equipment on the truck and play with the lights. And before it is over, we take a picture of each of them holding a charged hoseline with a firefighter and we take a group picture of each class then we burn it to cd and give it to the teachers and principle. 

Once a month, we go and spend 30-45 minutes with each class reading a story in the library to them and promoting reading. We encourage them to read by reward the one who reads the most out of each class with a gift card and we double the worth of the gift card for the winner of each class that reads the most over the summer since it is harder to get kids to read during the summer.

We are getting ready to participate in the schools monthly wellness program this coming up month with one of our neighboring departments by conducting some sort of training exercise that teaches the kids about fire safety.

Our school is served by at least 4 different fire depts.  During fire prevention week in the fall, we do an in-depth fire drill with trucks and firefighters in full gear coming to the school.   Then just prior to prom season, we do a motor vehicle accident drill and cut some cars apart on the football field to drive home the dangers of drinking and driving.  Then in May, I bring Smokey Bear into the elementary school and talk to the 3rd graders about wildfire prevention.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service