Below are a series of photos courtesy "FirehouseGuy" from theWatchDesk.com from a daytime house fire last week in Maryland.

These photos are circulating around the Web on sites such as Firefighter Close Calls on the aspect of firefighter safety ... with the site noting "No one hurt but good pictures from the scene drawing "THINK" attention to PPE, SCBA and roof operations. While we love roof operations when needed, we are don't love un-needed exposure to the smoke -- today's smoke is some nasty crap.....we need to THINK. 1000 active Firefighters die each year to cancer."

What are your thoughts and your department's SOPs for firefighters operating on the roof of structure firefighters?

Views: 2141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The many deep rooted traditional city departments; the truckies will not wear SCBA while operating on the roof. Many will cite a balance issue, many will cite you shouldn't be in the smoke. Others will conclude that truckies are Leather Lungers.... etc.

Bottom line is this, today's fires have changed. The BTU production (heat) has increased to upwards of 18,000 BTU's per pound as compared to 6,000. The smoke has become ever more toxic, a mix of bad gases and poisons that have become our worst enemy.

Our thoughts on firefighter safety, living a long healthy career, or even enjoying life without the use of a portable oxygen tank in our golden years will only be afforded should we see a cultural change in our personal responsibility (our own behaviors)

If you have the possiblity of breathing smoke - ANY smoke - you must don and wear your SCBA even if that means we are going against traditional beliefs.
this guy should get a check up from the neck up
not safe at all
Cedric,

I know I'm a little late, but I just came across this thread. The person in the white helmet is a line officer, not a chief officer. This is in Prince George's County and all officers wear white helmets and chiefs wear white coats. Take care and be safe.

Phil Clinard
Laurel VFD
Prince George's County Co 10
Laurel, MD
Are S.O.G.'s for my company is that if you are on a roof, you HAVE to be interior qualified and have an SCBA pack on with the mask and air flowing. This guy should NOT be on the roof.
Morris,

Just a little late to this post, but thought I'd chime in anyway. The photo shows just a small part of the operation so it is premature to say there is hardly anyone there. Prince George's County is a large combination department and a working box alarm assignment brings four engines, two trucks and a heavy rescue or three trucks as well as a battalion chief, safety officer, EMS officer, a BLS unit and an ALS unit. There are multiple handlines in the front door so there should be an engine crew or two operating inside as well as a truck company. You are most likely right about the person moving the line in the front yard being a wagon driver. I agree with most of the negatives posted and am just putting my two cents worth since this is in my county. Take care and be safe.

Phil Clinard
Laurel VFD
Laurel, MD
Chris,

The white helmet is a line officer. In the county depicted all officers wear white helmets and chiefs wear white coats. Take care and be safe.

Phil Clinard
Laurel VFD
Laurel, MD
he will be the one that wont understand why he wound up with cancer as he gets older and it all could have been prevented with less than a minute to take the time to put on a scba
this guy is crazy!!! you don't really know what is in the smoke first of all. plus what if the roof would give in. i really don't think he even needs to be on the roof. u have fire showing through the roof.
Personally, it is sad that we need a departmental SOP about wearing an SCBA in any type of IDLH situation. As a truck guy myself, I know that the SCBA is cumbersome and sometimes in the way on the roof and I was raised to only wear it when I need it, but we are in a different culture now and we have to adapt to a more safety conscious way of thinking. Yes, we take risks and yes danger is our business. But many members died to teach us to work smarter than they did. We owe it to them to change our culture and thinking.
Our dept goes by if there's fire...your flowing air...even during overhaul
I personnally agree with Captain 70 and Michael Stone, this member should not be operating on the roof at all, but since he is, he should be in full PPE to include a pack and be masked up. There is some really nasty stuff in smoke, and you don't wanna be breathing it in. Also I wanna address this..... Does anybody else's department also operate with the 2 man roof team as mine does? I was always taught **NEVER WORK ALONE**
my dept SOG/SOP "no pack, no roof" and that goes for both us operating mutual aid or mutual aid operating with us.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service