I would like to know what happens in your area if a Fire Department was responding to calls in the surounding areas with being paged by dispatch or being requested by the local Fire Department. Which means during the response no one knows that Fire Department is responding. They are responding with light and sirens going during the response and know one knows untill they show up on scene. What would happen in your area to the Department or Captain that tells his guys to respond.

If they were in an accident who would the person they hit go after the town, fire department or the captain that ordered the response. Would anyone be disciplined for the as far as I am concerned, Illegal response or is not illegal to respond in this way.

Thank you

Views: 405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Art, first of all if that Department showed up to my call un-requested I would have some words with the person in charge of that Department and most likely they would be sent home. If heard of my members doing this I would have them siting in my office and WE WOULD HAVE A TALK! Freelancing is not an offense that I will allow or tolerate.
I mean this in only the most complimentary way - Youse vollies crack me up!
Insurance coverage would have a big factor in this. If the department the responders are with was never formally dispatched or "took it upon themselves" to respond, who is going to cover them in the event of an accident?

If those people desire to run on other departments calls, then maybe they should go join said department. Like Chief Sharp pointed out, it's a perfect example of freelancing which should NEVER be tolerated on any scene or any department. What made that Captain holier than the SOP's that allow his firemen to respond at his freewill without a dispatch?
This just doesn't happen in the career depts. I suppose you could have them arrested for crossing a fire line. My suggestion is to form strong mutual aid pacts. If everyone is on the same page, this probably won't happen.
So you're talking about a fire department that free lances?

That this question would even come up leaves me nearly speechless (and once again works to re-enforce certain stereotypes.)
THERE IS NO WAY A DEPARTMENT SHOULD BE RESPONDING UNLESS REQUESTED. Perhaps two neighbouring departments that know each other and for whatever reason are close to the call may call the responding department and ask if the responsible department wants mutual aid, but I have never heard of this happening.
Now this is the reason I didn't say what type of Departments were involved because I wanted to see some answers first. I knew that someone would take the normal crack at Volunteers.

So just to let you know the Department that is running without anyone knowing they are is a Career Department. They are running out of their are with all three stations which leaves the city unprotected. Do we have Mutual Aid with them and other Departments. Once they arrived at a car accident and when we ask why they responded the Cpatian said we thought all you had was pump up tools. Just to let you know me the Volunteer guy I was the one who set up the Jaws course here in this area and invited two from each department to take the course. The only Departments that took the course were Volunteer Departments.

I will not rip apart a Firefighter just because he is a Career Firefighter so why do you have to rip Volunteer Firefighter. I have respect for all Firefighters and the reason I asked the question is because I think it is a safety question but it seems you think it's because Volunteers are involved without even know the type of Departments I was talking about.

Respect not much to ask from guys that do the same job for free or as a career. Toss both of us in the water and we are both going to sink or swim. But by your comments I guess I would sink...lol

Take care and stay safe and I mean that.
Now this is the reason I didn't say what type of Departments were involved because I wanted to see some answers first. I knew that someone would take the normal crack at Volunteers.

So just to let you know the Department that is running without anyone knowing they are is a Career Department. They are running out of their are with all three stations which leaves the city unprotected. Do we have Mutual Aid with them and other Departments. Once they arrived at a car accident and when we ask why they responded the Cpatian said we thought all you had was pump up tools. Just to let you know me the Volunteer guy I was the one who set up the Jaws course here in this area and invited two from each department to take the course. The only Departments that took the course were Volunteer Departments.

I will not rip apart a Firefighter just because he is a Career Firefighter so why do you have to rip Volunteer Firefighter. I have respect for all Firefighters and the reason I asked the question is because I think it is a safety question but it seems you think it's because Volunteers are involved without even know the type of Departments I was talking about.

Respect not much to ask from guys that do the same job for free or as a career. Toss both of us in the water and we are both going to sink or swim. But by your comments I guess I would sink...lol

Take care and stay safe and I mean that.
I smell a severe case of BS here.....
I smell a severe case of BS here...
To answer your liability question...ALL OF THE ABOVE. If someone wanted to sue for some reason they would sue the city, the department and the officer. Self-dispatching is very irresponsible. That sums it up.
If this is happening it sounds like it could be the city trying to take over some of the county fire protection duties (and tax dollars). I'm not saying that it is or isn't happening but I wouldn't put it past some of the smaller cities who are trying anything and everything to increase tax revenue by any means nessessary.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service