If we truly care about our members surviving the incident and “going Home”, it’s about time that we addressed the issue of responder wellness.
Not fitness, wellness. It doesn’t matter if you’re an accomplished athlete or morbidly obese (like I was) or anywhere in between those extremes, you can improve your internal wellness and give your body a chance to become healthy. Please know, be absolutely sure, that it all begins exactly at this point. When your body is healthy you can pursue fitness. When your body is healthy your stamina and energy are through the roof. When your body is healthy it’s less likely that you succumb to a stroke, cancer or heart attack (lack of wellness is the leading cause of line of duty deaths).

I have a great story to tell about how (in 2008) I changed my life by improving my wellness in the most amazing way. As a 45 year member of the fire service I care greatly about you and your future. If you want to improve your health, please contact me. Together we can begin to make a difference, one emergency responder at a time. This can be the beginning of a health revolution. Oh, and don’t forget, we can help our families, as well.

Have no doubt, we must find a way to assist our responders to become healthy. Physical internal health, weight loss, and nutritional abundance are essential to withstand the dangers of our work. We must begin with this. Physical fitness activities logically follow and will serve to build strength and endurance. Rarely does fitness training result in significant weight loss or improved internal health. It is absolutely essential that we teach our members how to become internally well which is the real beginning to significantly addressing the responder wellness problem.

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I simply can't stand that word. "Wellness". Made up by someone with a poor command of the English language.

I understand what you're saying of course.
I have a great story to tell about how (in 2008) I changed my life by improving my wellness in the most amazing way. As a 45 year member of the fire service I care greatly about you and your future. If you want to improve your health, please contact me. Together we can begin to make a difference, one emergency responder at a time. This can be the beginning of a health revolution. Oh, and don’t forget, we can help our families, as well.
Sounds like a slick marketing campaign to me.

Why not share it here, right now with everyone?
Tony what about mental health (stress etc) I have had problems with our deptment with bullying
On a strike team I ask the question and 25% came back with constant problems of ( bullying-stand over men-captain blood- little hitlers) you know the type. anyway our RO's sweep it under the table and HQ don't want to know. how have you found it there
I'm with Lutan if you have something that is going to help us then share it ..I would love to find the secret to life wellness..... Plus to be skinny yea bring on the secret
I honestly haven't seen any real problems with bullying in the two Brigades I've been a member of. A couple of times there've been attempts, but it's been stamped on by officers and other members. Strike Teams? The same, I've not seen any problems. I'm not saying it can't/doesn't happen, but not where I've been.

Stress? That's another matter. There are many things that can have an adverse effect on us in this job. Stress is something we have to be aware of in ourselves and others, it can't be ignored. Stress is the reason I no longer work - I found that I was simply not standing up well to things that had happened/were happening so took advantage of a pension that I was owed. A much healthier Tony was the result of that action! Not everyone has that option of course

As for things being swept under the table by local senior management and HQ? It shouldn't happen, but I've seen a couple of people that were promoted beyond their capabilities. The victim(s) concerned need to have their complaints in writing, with a copy to the Association (as we only have the one now). Clear reference needs to be made to our own ruleas about harassment, and also to State law. I don't think that even the most useless Ops, Region or Area Manager could ignore a detailed complaint supported by evidence - that person's career would be on the line. But with this the trouble is always evidence. Witnisses are needed - otherwise it's simply one persons' word against another.
To be honest, I didn't read the whole post initially. I got caught up on my dislike of 'that' word! Bad me. Now I've read it, and the question mark has been raised. In my reply to Wildfire I mentioned how I turned my life around. My inner health and well-being are now fantastic!
I don't think that even the most useless Ops, Region or Area Manager could ignore a detailed complaint supported by evidence - that person's career would be on the line.

Yea you would think.

But it happened, we got Alex Batty deversity manager up and our election were put on hold for six months till last thursday, it has settled down now.
C'mon John share your secret....
For those who inquired about my wellness program, I thank you for your interest. This is neither “slick” marketing nor anything magic. I’ve been on a nutritional wellness program (not a diet) which has cleansed the toxins from my system, allowed me to release excess pounds and made me healthy from the inside out. In 8 months, this year, I lost 87 pounds. I believe that internal wellness must precede fitness and this is desperately needed by many in the emergency response community. I would prefer to share details directly with anyone who’s interested. Please email me for additional information: John@IncidentMT.com
Thanks, John

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service