Should the pump operator stay at the engine or wander around the scene? I'm asking because one of our people has a habbit of setting the engine and walking of. We are a volunteer department and have two engines with the computer operated pump. Supposedly set your pressure and watch. We lost prime momentarily the other day and he was at the rear of the engine away from the panel(top mount). Seems that if you are not at the pump when something happens you stand a good chance of either screwing up a pump or getting someone hurt. This is why we have the top mount so the operator can watch the fireground.

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So I ask again.....if people are so sure that the driver should stay with the rig no matter what....then what action do you take when there is a rescue that needs to be made on the exterior of the structure?

My personal belifes are that everyone must be a soldier on a 3 man engine there are critical things that must be accomplished and with a person standing at the pumper not doing anything it is more unsafe than leaving the pumper.
Pump operator should stay at the pump unless he/she needs a break. No if's and's or but's about it!!!
"Why does the pump operator need to see what is going on anyway?" There are many reasons a pump operator needs to see whats going on but to only list a few A)If a hose line breaks he needs to see, B)If something changes on the exterior of the fire building and the IC doesnt see it he needs to see, C)If a nozzle man wants water and is using hand signals he needs to see it. I could add many other reasons why but my question is this, When is having an extra pair of eyes to watch over a scene ever a bad thing??
To all my brother and sister engineers / pump operators: It is my opinion and the opinion of other engineers / pump operators in the site that it is best NOT to leave the truck while the pump is in gear and flowing water.

I am a 35 yr. veteren I have run pumps for 33 of those years, I don't care if the operator is in a city, suburbun, town, rural or out in the middle of nowhere fire dept. the operator does NOT leave the panel while the pump is in gear and flowing water, and by the way being paid or not has noting to do with it.
they should stay at the panel
I find it funny that no one answered my question. Ok 33 year guy...your pumping the rig and your the only engine on scene....you crew calls a mayday...you staying at the pump????

A victim presents themselves on side A and your the only one there....you staying at the pump???

Personally I think your in the wrong if you do....I know I couldnt look at myself in the mirror in the morning if i stood by the pump panel while one of my brothers or a victim was in trouble.
Nine times out of ten the pump operator is not the only one outside on the scene, there is always somebodies roaming, working, lurking around. So in reality again the pump operator is not the only outside.
Robert,

I haven't been following this thread - just happened to notice the recent activty. In your scenarios, of course the pump operator should not remain at the pump. And if the pump catches on fire, he should not remain with the pump. What point are you trying to make?

In almost all cases the pump operator should be in proximity to the pump - not chained to it - just damn close.
Ben,

We had a similar call last summer, an apartment with the kitchen fully involved. We were running a four man crew. I hit he hydrant while our other ff flaked hose and grabbed the tools, the officer was doing his 360. The operater charged our line set the pump and as we were making way to the fire threw a ladder through the front window for vent and secondary egress. He was gone from the pump maybe 1 minute. But that minute helped clear a lot of smoke and we had the fire out before the next crew was even out of their rig. I agree that at a mojor incident and with enough man power he should stay with the rig, but in a quick attack it is not necessary.

TCSS
Ok Gentlemen here is a little different seniro, with all these new trucks coming out with all these new electronics on them so they can almost run themselves, does the operator walk away to do something else?
Pump operators should always stay with the pump panel. A good operator can read his panel and be able to tell you pretty much what his guys are doing in the building at any given time. He will be able to tell if something is going wrong with the interior operation. Please do not rely on electronic controls, they very often malfunction. Without the operator right there at the panel to correct a problem, somebody could very easily be hurt. Electronic controls were never intended to replace the operator and are only there to assist him in his job.
I dont know what "reality" that is. If its yours then thats awesome that someone is always roaming around......but here was a reality I was faced with....we pulled up with fire coming from a 2nd floor apartment and smoke in the common breeze way with 5 people on a balcony.

Once the officer and firefighter stretched the line and I charged it I took our ground ladder and rescued them.

Here is another one we arrived to a fire with 3 reported victims this time with a truck company with us.....as we were pulling victims out the drivers of the truck and engine were doing CPR on them cause there was no one else there. Yea once someone got there they were relived of those duties but for the time being they were it.

So should we have stayed at the pump panel and let those people die????? Its easy to quote your DPO manual on this website its alot harder to do so standing in the front yard with real actual human life staring back at you and your the only one who can help.

Thats why we are here sometimes we have to risk lives to save them....if this small risk is not acceptable to you then how will you ever justify making any rescue?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service