OK folks....I just completed a pump-ops class....and got drilled that smooth bores are the way to go....less nozzle reaction for the same or greater amount of water....So, what is everyone using...? and why...? I know we have task force/Fog nozzles but are currently going to smooth bores...thanks...look forward to your responses.....Paul

Views: 1851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why are most of the people here hating on TFT? They are very good nozzles that work fantasticaly, and take the abuse that we as a profession put them through. TFT set pressure (90 psi) fogs are all we use on attack lines (13/4"). They get pumped at 90 psi and flow 150 gpm. We looked at switching to a combo type or a break apart nozzle, but after talking to reps from both Akron and Elkhart they both told us that what we were using was a much better nozzle and would provide us with higher flows and a better stream than what they could give us. Now if a salesman tells you not to switch to his product that says quite alot. My other question that no one has yet been able to answer is: with the break apart nozzles, what do you do with the fog tip when you take it off to keep it from getting lost? Since we all know that firefighters never misplace anything when we're inside get it handed to us. Trust me I know our department has lost two TICs and a walkie in addition to numerous hand tools and that was just on one fire that went south on us.
all that you use are "fogs" on attack lines...? How do you reach the seat of the fire...? We use a lot of combo nozzles and a few TFT's....but are going steadily toward smoothbores...reduced nozzle reaction and the ability to put CAFS through it effectively all push us toward them....It actually happened that during our Pump Ops class...the instructor stressed the effectivness of smoothbores over Fogs.......Paul
Yeah just the standard ajustable stream fogs. We have the smoothbore optionon our blitz line and deck gun but the little lines are fogs. Tighten it all the way up to a straight stream and get a nice tight pattern that has the same reack and punch as an Akron 15/16 that we tested. Actually had a higher flow too if can believe that.
We have both kinds of nozzles in our department but I think that it depends on the job for you deciding witch one to use.
What do you do....wait and see what it is before you put a nozzle on your line...? Paul
Our departmetn purchased two 1 3/4 x 3/4" smooth bore nozzles, we have used them on a few live fire demos and they have seemed effective and we do carry them on the engines. They can be an effective tool when used appropriately, so can combination nozzles. By having both tools you cent go wrong.
Well here in Davidson County we are still using fog nozzles. Other one of our neighboring county's is going to all smooth bore nozzles. And yes you don't have to pump at such a high pressure and they don't have much restriction plus you do get more water out of them, but with that being said I prefer a fog nozzle. For starters with the more water if it is a small fire you are putting more water on it now you have more water damage destroying more personal property if it is not a total loss of course. And the Main reason I prefer a fog nozzle if all of a sudden it is getting to hot and you have to back out crank that nozzle to the left "Left for Life" fog it out and back out and it can save your life. A fog nozzle can also cool a room down faster than a smooth bore, you can also if you get the fire out you can fog the nozzle as much as possible stick it in a window and do hydraulic ventilation. So it is all in what you prefer but I prefer fog... but I would like to see what everyone else has to say as well
As one that is actively involved in product choices for our department, this whole nozzle silliness has me a little concerned. After a lot of research, I find that the reference to TFT, is mostly a generic reference to 100psi operating automatic nozzles. So, a quick look at that company’s web site was eye opening. Not only do they produce 100psi automatics, but 75psi, and even 55psi versions. They also produce a full series of fixed and selectable gallonage nozzles that operate in a wide range of pressures and flows. For our purposes when we made our choices, it was a lot less about the nozzle style, and a lot more about providing a tool that offered the target fire flows we wanted for our initial attack lines. Our target with smoke and fire showing was 185/200 gpm. We wanted the crew to be able to gate the nozzle to reduce flow and nozzle reaction when necessary, so the only nozzle that could give us this was the valve design of the TFT Automatic or TFT fixed gallonage nozzle. The ball valves used by everyone else just broke the stream up too much when gated and we weren’t willing to settle for anything less than an effective straight stream. We also wanted to reduce the nozzle reaction at these targeted fire flows, so we chose a 75psi operating pressure. The 55psi versions were a bit low, and led to some hose kinking issues we didn’t like. So, at the end of the day after looking at everything on the market, our target fire flows, our pump operations, and hose we use. We found the flexibility of the automatic with the slide style of valve in a low pressure design gave us what we needed.
Chief. your comments make more sense than any others on this thread and I agree fully,fog nozzles are appropriate in most situations but the smooth bore has its place also. Thirty years in the fire service seventeen as an Asst. Chief give me the confidence to make these observations.
All our handlines are equipped with Elkhart adjustable fog nozzles. We have smooth bore nozzles and interchangeable tips available but never use them. Since you mentioned it: We'll have to get them out and play with them this year.
In many organizations smoothbores are used in high-rise operations. There are several factors why. One is the reason many of you have already mentioned such as nozzle reaction and less nozzle pressure. The lower pressures allows for easy manipuilation of hose lines while maintianing a adequate GPM. The other reason is due to the sedimentation in the standpipes. If any debri was to loosen during an operation a combination nozzle can not pass this debri, which may clog the nozzle. A smooth bore does not have this problem. In my department we allow the company officers to chose what nozzels they want on thier pre-connects. However on high-rise packs we standard with the smooth-bore.
you may be increasing the air flow, but you are also decreasing the heat in the room. both heat and oxygen are a part of the fire tetrahedron

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service