I come from a small town in wv. There is ten dept. in the county but one stands out among the rest. This dept refuses to use mutal aid with its neighboring company. The reason the chief won't use mutial aid is because he don't like members under 18 and my dept. has more acctive members. So your thoughts would be appriciated.

Views: 436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, who in their right mind would use someone under 18?
what department would certifie a minor to be on the fire ground?
whats up with your county?
Living in a small town,we need Junior FF,We need mutual Aid,where actually working on that!
Having Vonlunters FIRE DEPT. IS 1ST OF ALL HELPING PEOPLE!So picking & choosing who you help is wrong!
I said 'minor' which is clearly understood to be under the age of 18.

Others can answer better than I but, while a 17 year old may be able to join the military with parental approval, I strongly suspect that they will not be deployed to a hazardous zone until 18. Enlisting at 17 (which strongly suggest a lack of a H.S. diploma/GED) is most likely very unusual.

While many fire departments may have as their lower hiring limit 18 years old, most will actually hire older candidates, seeking a higher level of maturity.

Seventeen year olds may be allowed to participate in an NFPA FFI class but the NFPA and OSHA are very clear on how that may be done and are equally clear that minors may NOT be utilized as firefighters.

So yes, any department that allows minors to be used on the fireground as firefighters is operating in a culture of ignorance and is a huge liability waiting to happen.
i understand the small town dept bit, im in one. but junior ff's is not an option that one should choose. i wouldnt see sending the boy scouts of to war..
short handed or not, i see law suits when i think of a minor on the fire ground and angree parents with burnt or dead kids...
That doesn't mean having them having fully invold on the fire ground!but ther's so much to do behind the scene,like briging water, changing bottles,etc..staying out the way, but most important is getting expierence on what happen on a Fire Scene.
that part is TRUE, but does officers and ic have the time to watch where they are at all times, and " what if" one gets a hair up his ---, and gets to close?
enlisting at 17, ya need a ged or diploma, parental permission, and be turning 18 that year.
tryed to pawn of my oldest...lol
Marc,

If a MA department utilizes children as firefighters, not only is it the prerogative of the requesting department to NOT call them but it is also their legal responsibility. Minors are NOT allowed to work in hazardous situations.

And you're being disingenuous when you say "Having Vonlunters FIRE DEPT. IS 1ST OF ALL HELPING PEOPLE!" That a department is volunteer is meaningless,all fire departments are about helping people and they all have to operate according to the law.

Furthermore, the way you state it implies that volunteer departments are somehow 'holier' than paid departments. That's both a bullshit concept and a dangerous one. Are you somehow more "protected" because you are volunteer?
Karr,

It's very confusing to the flow of a discussion and more than a little irritating when someone posts a reply, another person replies directly to it and then the first poster deletes his reply and inserts another, different one. It makes the second person's reply appear unrelated.
That's not what I mean at all!the VFD is So important,all I'm saying we need train junior FF,& there's no way you could put them in danger I agree!All I'm saying that being in a small town we need future FF!
Sorry for the miss understanding!
You can order the bunkers from thefirestore.com

TCSS
Cap, I'm pretty sure he means water for hydration.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service