I come from a small town in wv. There is ten dept. in the county but one stands out among the rest. This dept refuses to use mutal aid with its neighboring company. The reason the chief won't use mutial aid is because he don't like members under 18 and my dept. has more acctive members. So your thoughts would be appriciated.

Views: 436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is one problem with the color we use for JR FFs or probation FFs over 18, which is RED here in our county. In other areas RED is used for officers so you can imagine a JR FF being asked by a crew from another area what needs to be done.
I see your point, also i learn better from hands on i have trouble sitting still or just confined... But also i never said i think i am entitled to work on the scene, but honestly give a teen something to do that has responsibility that will encourage us to do a good job....
Or even better lets go to the senate to stop these programs and make a law that you cant join till you are 21 if people want change in this system.
i learn better from hands on i have trouble sitting still or just confined...

Understandable. There is much that can be done on meeting nights that is hands on, such as SCBA drills, search and rescue, hose drills, ladder carries and raises, EMS, etc. There is no reason that one has to just sit around to learn. However, when it comes to the fireground, there is no reason for a kid to be working it.

i never said i think i am entitled to work on the scene

Never said you directly either, but generalizing in response to your question as to why there is an anti-junior sentiment. Reality is those encouraging the use of minors on the fireground are many juniors, explorers, cadets, themselves.....with the "how are we to learn the job" BS.....or adults who utilize kids on the fireground and are clueless to the liabilities and irresponsibilities involved who use the ...."how else are they to learn the job" BS.

honestly give a teen something to do that has responsibility that will encourage us to do a good job

This could be anything, from cutting lawns, to walking dogs. Reality is there isn't an instant gratification in the real world. For the most part many times on this job, doing a good job is like pissing your pants while wearing dark pants.....you get a warm feeling but nobody notices. It means there is plenty to do even as a junior not being utilized on calls, there is still station things to do, stuff to learn and so forth, but you don't need to be in the action to have a sense of responsibility or to be encouraged to do a good job.

even better lets go to the senate to stop these programs and make a law that you cant join till you are 21 if people want change in this system

No reason to change the system. There is a place for such programs, but they should be done correctly. Such programs should be to help kids get a taste of what the job is about, not a training program. As for a law, I would be happy to see the rules that Learning for Life has concerning Explorers, to be the standard for any such program.
Just a question somewhat off topic, but is spelling and grammar taught in schools anymore?

Seriously?

Because I see the responses here and in the 18 YO leaving school and it just continues to reinforce that children\minors need to be in school even more than they already are.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service