I seen this on another post but i thought id ask the question here
What makes a good medic ?
here is what i belive makes a good medic

What Makes a Good Medic

1. A good/great medic must have compassion for his or her patients and the familys of those patients
2. Must be unshakeable when on a call they keep there cool in those bad times when patients crash
3. Keep up on there skills and learn and keep on learning
4. Know they are not GOD
5. Willing to teach others
6. Explain there actions while on a call when conciveable
7. Treat there patients as they would like to be treated
8. They know others see them as hero's but see it as doing there job its what we do

These are some of the things that I can think of off the top of my head. I know a great medic in my area and I would like to take this oppurtonity to thank all in the Fire EMS Police and Military feilds. Without what we do I belive our country would not be what it is today.

15:13,14 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

We do this day in and day out not for the glory but for the love of man and our community and country

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You pretty much nailed it. I can't stand "para-gods" or guys that are so burned out that if the paitent is talking they are walking, even if from the second floor of a house and having crushing sub-sternal CP (are you freaking kidding me)! They must know EMT-B does not stand for empty my trash B!&@#. They must understand that a good EMT-B is sometimes better as a partner than a hlaf-ass EMT-P. Just a few observations.
I like to sum it all up in one simple statement.....A good medic has to CARE....If you care then everything else will fall into place....Stay safe and always remember to Keep the Faith.......Paul
Lot of good replys and all sound great.
Megan,

I would respectfully reply that I've buried more friends at LODD funerals than the number of months you've been on the job, per your profile.

I question if your experience level validates the "sometimes we don't get that option" response.

It's an absolute truth that dead medics (or firefighters, or cops) can't help anyone, regardless of how noble the motivation immediately prior to taking that last breath. Hopefully, you'll never have to find out on a personal level.

Ben
Ben,

I agree with the statment we all go home. Yes I am still a newer person to the feild. I hope to never have to bury someone off a crew of mine or see someone get hurt while on a run. I am sorry to hear that you have had to bury close ones to you at LODD funerals. I want each and everyone of us to make it back from our calls. I was just stating that sometimes it doesnt happen.
Megan
Megan,

My point is that sometimes we think that dedication and altruism will protect us no matter where we go, what we do, or what risks we take. That's just not the case, as the families of my brothers who have been carried in flag-covered boxes can attest.

We can significantly reduce the "sometimes it doesn't happen" by changing our culture from taking risk no matter what to taking only informed, calculated risks.

I wish you a long, happy, healthy, and safe career.

Ben
from the medics i've worked with and observed:
--a good medic cares about and has a desire to help the patients presented to them, but has the ability to let it go when nothing else in the medics power can be done to save them.
--they have an excellent attitude. granted we all have bad days, but they are able to put the crap behind them and keep on working. a pissed off medic=pissed off patient=pissed off families.
--good medics have confidence in their knowledge, skills and ability. confidence to explain why they pushed this drug or why they used that method of treatment for that patients illness or injury.
--they respect the other responders (emt-b's, first responders, etc.) but still have the confidence (not cockiness)that shows that they can lead under pressure. a couple medics i've seen thought they were, well, the sh** and treated the other responders like uneducated, inexperienced bystanders. needless to say those medics DONT get any help from those responders any more.
--good medics are constantly learning and are more than happy to teach, when the moment is appropriate, though.
-- and finally, good medics let their partner get the stretcher when the time comes for the mid shift nap, while the medic takes the cramped front seat.
Study, Study, and More Study
IMO a great medic also nows when a hug is needed. Laugh if you want and ask for my Man card, but i have held family membes after I told them that their loved one is dead. Sometimes it's not about the hard IV stick that you got, Or the Crazy Tube you dropped, but rather about the personal human contact that you gave. In other words reading people's real needs, meeting and even exceeding those needs, is what makes a great medic.
You make an interesting point. A study out of Wisconsin shows that a patient who is in cardiac arrest, mortality factor increases dramatically when there is 3 or more Paramedics on scene. The study proves that having EMTs, and Intermediates onscene with one or two Paramedics were more beneficial to the patient's outcome. As Paramedics we sometimes try to ACLS the patient to death. When you skip the basics, patients suffer.
I agree with you. We have to remember what we are actually doing and why.
Lots of great points have been listed, but the one thing missed that I think makes a good medic is that they have to be good listeners. They have to be able to listen to what the pt says, and sometimes more importantly, what the patient does NOT say. And I guess it should cover good observers as well. Often you can tell a great deal about what is going on by just observing the surroundings.

Like the call we had for a 9 y/o male with severe ab. pains. While the mother is swearing up and down that the boy had not consumed any unusual substances that day, it wasn't until you stood back from the kids bed that you could see the massive pile of empty candy bar wrappers hidden underneath. The para and I saw it at about the same time. His young "go-getter" partner didn't notice it until we pointed it out.

So I believe that good listening and observation skills help in making a good medic.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service