Hi everyone! I'm new to the group, and I am looking for some information. I work for a fully paid department here in sunny SWFla. Our entire contract is open this year, and I have been searching for information on any department out there that has specific contract language pertaining to maternity leave/light duty for pregnant firefighters, etc. The prevalence of women in the fire service is increasing and isn't going to go away. We are looking to add contract language to the effect that as soon as the pregnancy is known, the employee will be placed on light duty (riding as an aid to the BC or whatever is available). I would just like to know if there are any departments out there that have already adopted policies.
If you can, email the contract language to me at sportsgirl1080@yahoo.com.
Thank you and stay safe!
~Diana

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't speak to other departments, but there is FEDERAL LAW that addresses pregnancy and employment status.
There are some health issues better left between patient and doctor.
Pregnancy and the issues involved should NOT be a part of collective bargaining. Period.
Just my opinion.
Check out the Pregnancy Discrimination Act. Interesting reading.
Congratulations on your impending blessed event.
TCSS.
Art
The Family Medical Leave Act is the Federal law passed back in 1993 that covers pregnancy leave. In addition, here in California, we have the California Family Rights Act of 1995 which provides some additional protections.

Pregnancy leave is addressed in our union contract under the Leaves of Absence article. There's also a provision in the Sick Leave article for using accumulated sick time (pregnancy leave under FMLA/CFRA is unpaid leave unless you use accrued vacation or sick time). The Leaves of Absence article also addresses light duty and extended disability leave for cases where pregnancy leave may exceed the time period specifically provided under FMLA/CFRA (such as being placed on bed rest during the first trimester).

One interesting thing to point out is that these provisions aren't only for female employees. Obviously the "pregnancy leave" part is, but male employees can also take "parental leave" to help care for a newborn, which a couple of our guys have done recently.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service