NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - An annual "Merry Christmas" sign on a North Andover fire station has been ordered removed.

Town officials told firefighters last week to take down the homemade sign after they said people complained.

Fire Chief William Martineau said Monday that the sign was made by firefighters about 50 years ago and never had been an issue before.

The order comes a week after selectmen voted to allow a menorah display on the town common for only one day instead of all eight days of Hanukkah. They said a new town common policy only allows displays to stay up for one day, no matter what they are.

Town Manager Mark Rees said the town's public buildings should not be displaying things specific to a particular religion.

___

Information from: Eagle Tribune, http://www.eagletribune.com

Related
Bah! Humbug!: Town outlaws Merry Christmas sign

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Views: 2134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There was an update. They were allowed to put the sign back up.
Here's the link in case you missed it.
Here's an Update.....

http://www.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/massachusetts-fire-de...
Here is MY point of view ... I am a Christian. I celebrate Christmas. This country has a "freedom of religion" clause. If you are a sananist then do your religion. If you are any other religion then do it. BUT DO NOT TELL ME NOT TO CELEBRATE MY RELIGION. I am offended by some religions but i am not going to raise a stink that YOU can't have THAT in your yard. I will simply do as my Jesus would do and that is pray for you and be done with that. So to all my Christian friends... Merry Christmas.

J.D.
I have to agree this is going way to far, the way I look at it and dont wish it to be or agree but if the Gov officials wish to push the political correctness issue then why dont they work on Christmas and why is it a FEDERAL holiday? The way I look at it people need to get back the the basis for wich this country was founded on I say enough is enough. AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL take care and be safe.
Mate, no one is telling you not to celebrate. The fire house is not your yard, it is a public building; that makes it everyone's yard. A consequence of the first amendment is that the government can not advocate any religion. That means no "Merry Christmas" signs. Oddly, Santa, being a secular symbol, is OK.

Go to church! Raise your kids as you see fit! Read the Bible (all of it!) If anyone tries to stop you, I have your back 100%. All I ask is that you extend the same courtesy to me.
You bet man! Was just saying in general that no matter what side of the fence you are standing we should not point fingers and say that MY way is right and YOU are in the wrong. (or the other way around). We are all different and that is the way God intended. Like i read in this thread before we were not cloned years ago to all be the same ... to me it would be a boring place if we were all the same. And as far as the Fire House being Government supported property. I agree. If our bosses say we can't then by all means we should abide or suffer the disipline. Peace to all. No anger here. Just my 2 cents worth.
You can have my candy cane when you pry it from my cold, dead, fingers.....

TakeCareSaveSanta
Reg, Hahaha

If you lick the candy cane first it may be too stuck to your cold dead fingers for the Christmas haters to pry out.
What happened to freedom of expression and religion. That is what is granted to us under the Bill of Rights and that is what our troops are fighting for FREEDOM.
Dude, chill out, I never said they were anti anything. I just think they went too far and a Christmas card from fire depts. all across the country would send a message. I am not judging anyones patriotism or religion, but I am alllowed to my opinion on the matter. By the way, I am very glad that they are now allowed to keep their sign up.
Aussie, I keep telling myself the very same thing; What's the point?
The fact is most people responding either have not bothered to read and understand the issue or they choose to ignore it (willful ignorance is both charming and endearing, ain't it?) You (we) might as well be arguing with a box of bricks.

Most disheartening of all, while people have commented (and keep commenting) on this now moot and blown-out-of-proportion issue, look at the few people that bothered to leave a comment on the 10 yr. anniversary of the Worcester Cold Storage Fire and the loss of 6 brothers.

I guess it's clear where the interest lies, repetitively parroting and promoting a particular religious supremacy (when there was no threat to it other than a perceived one). The remembrance of the loss of six brothers is totally meaningless to these people. All of whom (in one manner or another) lay claim to being 'good christians. Yet another clear (though totally lost) example of irony. How sad.

merry xmas from a proud Pastafarian.
If these are the things this country is worrying about, we are in big big trouble. By the way Merry Christmas everyone,
Jack,

I think you may be missing the point about Christmas display commentary vs. rememberance for the Worcester 6.

One is controversial, the other is not. Controversy generates ink, as any newspaperman can tell you.

I haven't commented on the Worcester 6 anniversary here, because I choose not to.
That doesn't mean that I'm not interested or that it's meaningless to me - or anyone else.
It just means that I choose to avoid commenting about it here.

I think you're reading more into your comparison than is actually there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service